cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 Bit driver no longer works on Mac OS Catalina

akthom
Contributor

Will Canon write a new driver to work with the 64 bit OS?  I've been able to use VueScan by Hamrick software to operate my Canon LIDE 600F until the new MAC OS just came out.  I have another Canon flat bed scanner that needs a 64 bit compatible driver as well.  It's a shame to have to add these fine scanners to the electronic trash at the dump when all it is is a software issue.  

PLEASE!  

15 REPLIES 15

I think buying something other than Canon is the answer.  It's a shame they don't want to keep their product viable with a new driver.  I'm not a coder but it seems like a driver should be easy to code as compared to any other application.  

Perhaps unfortunately, but Canon scanners & printers work excellently with Apple products, especially my iMac. I have never had a problem with either, though I bought them in 2012. I'm sticking with Canon.

xarmoda
Apprentice

Its lazy cost driven business practice. This happens when the accountants get too much power in an organisation. then the ship slowly sinks as customer experince goes out the window. I'm off to buy another brand. I will remember this.

I have a Canoscan Lide 600F and recently updated to Catalina so I, too, am unable to use Canoscan Toolbox. I tried VueScan but it wouldn't work, so I reached out to support. Ed wrote back:

"Unfortunately, VueScan doesn't work with this scanner on macOS Catalina (10.15). We were using a Canon plugin library for this scanner on previous versions of macOS, but these are 32-bit only plugins and don't work on Catalina. If you're scanning film, I'd recommend getting a used Epson scanner on ebay instead. If you only need a flatbed scanner, I'd suggest
a new Canon LiDE 300 (the LiDE 400's higher resolution isn't useful for scanning paper). An even simpler solution is to use a virtual machine to run Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.14 (Mojave) on Catalina. For example www.parallels.com lets you do this.
It's what I use for my development machine for VueScanand I highly recommend it."

I haven't tried Parallels yet but plan to. I hate to just trash this perfectly good scanner.

Any other updates on this?

...only that we purchased a Epson V370 and its great. better software, faster scanning. 

doknyx
Apprentice
I have an even older CanoScan LIDE 70. Still works perfectly! Is there no way to interface with it now? Must I buy a new scanner?
Announcements