cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nighttime shooting at sports event

Hilda1
Contributor

I have a Canon Rebel Xs and when shooting football games all is great until it gets dark.  I use the sport mode, rapid shooting and I realize there isn't enough light for the shutter speed, so blurry pictures are the result.  I use a 250 mm lens but am thinking of getting a 300 mm lens, not sure if that will improve the problem.  A friend uses a 300 mm lens (Nikon) and her photos are not blurry.  What can I do to improve the nighttime pictures?

Thank you, Hilda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would look into the t7i, and the TAMRON/Sigma 150-600 mm lens.

Assuming the "250mm" you have is the 55-250, that will work well on the T7i.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

“What kind of camera/lens would you recommend? I able to upgrade and would like some input from a pro.”

I am no pro.  Just a grandfather who is a photo geek.

This was shot with an EOS 6D at f/5.6, using ISO 12800, which was actually -1 Ev of automatic exposure compensation.  The camera was set to Manual, but with Auto ISO.  The exposure called for ISO 25600, but I capped my Auto ISO at 12800.

94D0F1F5-AF8D-42CA-B85B-A7ADA629FD20.jpeg

The lens was the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.  Processed in Adobe Lightroom.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I would look into the t7i, and the TAMRON/Sigma 150-600 mm lens."

I like this suggestion a lot. Make sure you get the G2 version of the big Tammy.  Next you will need to practice with it.  It is big and beautiful and will do the job but you need to learn how to use it.

Some other suggestions might be to use Av mode. Set the lens to f5.6 or f8.  Again, experiment with it and learn.  Select a fairly high ISO, say >3200 but try <1600 also. (Never use auto ISO)  Again, learn!  Let the camera select the SS.

Noise in the shot may be or it may not be a problem.  At any rate here is the most important part of your situation, get and use a good post editor.  If you do nothing else, get a good post editor and learn how to use it. I would rather you get a good editing program than even a new camera/lens.  It is that important.  Most of them deal with noise well.

My last point and perhaps the most important point is made up of three factors.  Well, I mean, lets say they are right next to a good post editor.  What is it?  It is location, location and location.  Single most important thing is where you shoot from.  All the guys that tell you exactly what gear to use fail to mention this most important point.  Without knowing this one thing they can not tell you with any authority what gear to use.  Sidelines good, bleachers bad. Being able to roam the sidelines fantastic.  However, this makes the suggestion of the big Tamron such a good choice.

Modified recommendation, "I would look into the t7i, and the TAMRON/Sigma 150-600 mm lens.", plus a post editor and good spot to shoot from.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh, I forgot to mention, what editor?  I would check out Photoshop Elements.  It is a good starter and it is not expensive.  Matter of fact get PSE first.  Right now! Today.Smiley Happy

EB

Hilda1
Contributor
Thank you for your advice. Upgrading to a new camera and lens is what I felt would be needed. I will check around for some deals. Thanks again.

Don't forget the photo editor. That is more important than a new camera/lens.  I would rather see you get it first.

EB

Hilda1
Contributor
Wow. So much great information. I use Power Directo r for editing and find it can improve my shots very well. I am also going to find a camera club nearby so I can get more hands on with my camera. Thank you again. This forum has helped me very much.

Check out Photoshop Elements.  It is the starter level editor. It isn't expensive for all the power it delivers.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Check out Photoshop Elements.  It is the starter level editor. It isn't expensive for all the power it delivers.

WARNNG:

Photoshop Elements 2018 runs a version of Adobe Camera Raw that lacks lens correction.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

While researching cameras & software for post processing you may find this discussion helpful. It's an attempt to control the noise high ISO shots produce & how to best remove it after the fact, and also compares which bodies (in the users opinion) can do a better job in camera as the photo is taken.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1561329

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Hilda1
Contributor
Beautiful crisp and clear shot. My dream shot, one day. Thank you for your help. I am sure all your shots are amazing.
Announcements