cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon 12x36 is binoculars

ly
Apprentice

My binoculars are also degrading and sticky. I no longer live in the US and I wouldn't want to send them in for repair anyway, especially if it costs $300 like one commenter said. How the heck can I clean it up myself? They were very expensive and I am not happy about it at all. It even comes off on my fingers and attracts dirt like crazy. Gosh, don't put them down anywhere!

How do I get it off safely?

2 REPLIES 2

Danielroberts
Apprentice

Hello,

I understand your frustration with the degraded and sticky condition of your binoculars. Cleaning them yourself is a good option, especially if you're not able or willing to send them for professional repair. Here's a step-by-step guide to safely clean your binoculars:

Prepare a clean and dust-free area: Find a well-lit and clean workspace where you can comfortably clean your binoculars without the risk of dropping or losing small parts.

Gather cleaning supplies: You'll need a few items to clean your binoculars properly. Here's a list of what you'll need:

Soft lint-free microfiber cloth or lens cleaning paper
Lens cleaning solution or isopropyl alcohol (at least 70% concentration)
Compressed air blower or a soft-bristled brush
Cotton swabs or lens cleaning pen (optional)
Mild soap and water (for the body of the binoculars)
Remove loose debris: Use a compressed air blower or a soft-bristled brush to gently remove any loose dirt or debris from the surface of the binoculars. Be careful not to scratch the lenses or other delicate parts.

Clean the lenses: Moisten a soft lint-free microfiber cloth or lens cleaning paper with a small amount of lens cleaning solution or isopropyl alcohol. Gently wipe the lenses in a circular motion from the center outward. Avoid applying too much pressure or rubbing vigorously. If there are stubborn smudges, use a cotton swab or a lens cleaning pen for precise cleaning.

Clean the body: If the body of the binoculars is sticky, you can clean it with a mild soap and water solution. Dampen a cloth with the solution (make sure it's not dripping wet) and gently wipe the sticky areas. Be cautious not to get water inside the binoculars or on the lenses.

Dry and inspect: After cleaning, use a dry microfiber cloth to remove any remaining moisture from the lenses and the body. Inspect the binoculars carefully to ensure they are clean and free from residue.

Store properly: To prevent future degradation, store your binoculars in a dry and dust-free case when not in use. Avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures or excessive humidity.

Daniel,

Thanks for the info, but that is not my problem. The "rubber" coating on the body of the binoculars is degraded, is extremely sticky, mushy and will hold your fingerprints or other pokes. It even sticks onto other stuff, like one's shirt and leaves a black stain. It is disgusting to touch and I take excellent care of them. This is a problem as I have read about it on this site about many purchases. The actual rubber eyepieces are fine. How do I get the glue slime off of the body? No, soap and water do nothing to help but make the slime cleaner. How do I remove it and what's under it?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements