cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WB setting?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have taken some photos where LED lighting is used. What setting, besides Auto, is used or best? Thanks two bunches.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

LEDs can have various color temperatures. Best bet is Auto, shoot RAW and adjust in post if necessary.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks. I'm now leaning more and more toward RAW only since I downloaded the link to show RAW photos on PSE.

BTW,  I'm getting pretty decent with PSE 2021. I play with the settings on Guided to see what the results are in a photo.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

This is about as bad as it can get. The stage uses multiple colored lights. Red, blue, green and yellow, etc. Add to the fact the auditorium is totally dark and the stage is very bright. Still I use auto WB and adjust it in post because I, 100% of the time,  shoot Raw and post edit.

school house rock.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

If the lighting is not changing and the camera is on a tripod, then one can place a gray or white sheet of paper in the scene and make a photo that will be used later for the white balance of the other photos, or even use it in the camera to set a custom white balance. If the photo is to be cropped during raw development, then the eye dropper tool may be used to set the white balance from the gray or white object before cropping it out of the photo.

I hope this might be helpful.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

John is correct again, "...shoot RAW and adjust in post if necessary."

Stop over thinking your stuff so much. Learn how to post edit. Shoot Raw and do all that correction stuff in post. Like the above poster said us the eye dropper tool and set WB wherever you want it.  You don't need any grey add-ons most of the time as something is almost always 18% grey in photos.  Even if there is not all it needs to be is close because you can still tweak the 18% grey sliders to suit your liking.

I leave my 1DX on auto WB about 99% of the time. I don't care where or what I am shooting. It stays on auto WB. One more fact, Canon's auto WB is pretty darn good.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements