cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a camera for music events, festivals and gigs.

cerium
Apprentice

Hey! I'm looking for some help. My budget is between £400-500.

I've been recommended the Nikon 3500, Sony A600 and Canon T7 Rebel.

I'm just wondering if there would be any other Canon cameras that would fit the bill for what I want to use the camera for.

I'm thinking of getting the Rebel (2000D) and just spending the rest on a really solid lens?

Anyway if you'd like to give your opinion, I would really appreciate it! thanks,

Dan.

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Assuming many of the events will be at night and/or be in dark venues, I would highly recommend ensuring you pick up a good lens.  e.g. a 24-70mm f/2.8

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forums.

I recommend saving up some more, and at least doubling your budget.  DSLR Cameras fall into three general categories: entry level, mid range, and professional grade.

All of the cameras that you listed fall into the entry level category.  These are great for casual photographers and absolute beginners.  Because you mentioned "gigs", which is a task that are ill suited for. I think you need to pass on the entry level camera market.  They can probably do a decent job under good shooting conditions, but good shooting conditions does not happen very often with the shooting scenarios that you listed.

I recommend that you aim a little higher, and research mid-range camera models, which would probably means 2-3 times your current budget.

The camera market has been undergoing dramatic changes in recent years, due to changing consumer habits, and the rise in sales of mirrorless cameras.  Mirrorless cameras are the future.  DSLRs are becoming a thing of the past, much like film cameras.

I would compare the change to when automobiles shifted from using leaded fuel to unleaded fuel.  The handwriting was on the wall then just sat it is now.  Gas stations began selling both leaded and unleaded fuel.  Automobile manufacturers began selling only cars that used unleaded gasoline.  Everyone knew it was only a matter of time before leaded gas woul completely go away, and only unleaded gas would be sold.

There is a similar change occurring int he camera world.  Manufacturers are cutting back, or even cutting out, production of DSLRs.  They are currently transitioning to a mirrorless camera only world.  

There is a similar change when it comes to lenses, because DSLRs and mirrorless cameras work best with lenses that are optimized for each type of camera system.  Manufacturers are cutting back, or even cutting out, the production of DSLR lenses.

That word salad just scratches the surface.  Ask more questions, if you have any.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The two points previously made are valid. You are looking at all beginner cameras. None are standouts. You do need the best lens you can buy.  In fact the lens is way, way more important than the camera. 

The area where the beginner cameras are truly lacking is build. If you are very careful with one it will probably serve you well enough for what you want. The second area where beginner cameras are lacking is good high ISO performance. That along with a good fast lens is probably a factor you will have to consider. Very important.

The only DSLR camera I would personally buy or recommend to anyone today is the EOS 90D. Otherwise consider mirrorless models. DSLR is dead! However, the 90D is a fantastic camera and coupled with a good lens will do almost anything that can be done in photography.

Since I am not interested in purchasing a new mirrorloess, I could be wrong, but I believe the Canon EOS RP is the entry level mirrorless Canon. That is where I would start shopping. I doubt $600 to $700, roughly, dollars is enough of a budget for a reasonable set up.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You know if you have a iPhone 12, they do a pretty good job taking photos. They just can't be anything else but a iPhone photo!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements