cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liveview image sharper than photo (80D & 7D)

LVBC90
Contributor

Hello, i have an Canon 80D, and i am experiencing some kind of problem, it is related to the sharpness resulting on photos compared to the sharpness in liveview image...
(i already read some old posts here about this issue, and i still think that i have not found the answer and/or the solution to my problem yet).

The problem: It started when i was trying to shoot the moon with manual focus, i noticed that it is incredibly sharp in liveview (i can really see astonashing details with my 70-200L II IS USM+Extensor 2x III, set on 400mm), but when i take the picture all that detail is lost, i mean something like 10~20% less detail, i shoot in raw 24mp(6000x4000), and i know that the LCD of the camera can't display a RAW format while in liveview and it does no have high resolution, but still with all these limitations it still has more detail in the image compared to the RAW file that i see on my computer, even with maximum sharpness applied in camera raw from photoshop it still can't achive the sam level of detail i see on the liveview. No i do not use noise reduction, i use ISO 100, sturdy tripod, shutter speed 400~250, apperture i used several to test sharpness varying from 5.6 to 13(for the moon), and it does not occur only with the moon, it occurs with any case even with other lenses i tested with my 100mm macro and with my 18-135 IS, the same problem still happens, i tried shooting a torn paper and focusing the tiny little fibers on the paper against a black background, and in the liveview i can totaly see the fibers but when i shoot and check the image it has not the same level of detail that i peviously saw in liveview.

I've read that the Liveview mode applies some sharpening, but i can assure you, it is not only the sharpenning that it suposedly applies, it is more than that, couse i even if i increase the sharpness in the resulting RAW image it does not come close to the Liveview preview.

There is more, this problem did also happened with my old 7D that is now broken (using the same lenses)...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Check the resolution of the image files you are viewing

What about camera shake? Just using a robust tripod is not enough. Do not raise the center column, if you can avoid it. Whenever I shoot the Moon I use Mirror Lockup and the shutter delay timer.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

use your phone to take a picture of the liveview screen.

Hey kvbarkley, i have tried it with the Canon APP coneted wih wi-fi with my phone that has a resoution of 1080 x 1920, and then o compared it to the RAW file, there is one problem though, the phone don't register the 10x magnification, when i put on the camera 10x magnfication the phone get stucked on te 5x even if th camera i on 10x (i tried some configurations but there isn't many onthe APP), but even in this situation i can still see more sharpness/deail in the phone screen, but in the camera LCD is way sharper when it is on 10x manifcation... and aother thing, there is only one portion of the entire screen that is used for the liveview, so the effective amount of pixes is 1080x720

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

If you haven't already tried the RAW converter in DPP, try it and make sure that you move the NR reduction sliders to zero because depending upon your setup it will automatically apply some NR.  Use the sharpness slider and see what you get in DPP.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Actually, my flippant coment has a serious side, you should send us a screenshot of the live view screen and the resulting picture so that we can compare the two.

Hello wq9nsc, iam sure that he NR is reduced to zero, my picture profile is neutral, and i don't have DDP yet, but i am downloading it, and i will try that conversion through this software instead of the Photoshop Camera RAW... thank you, lets see...

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Check the resolution of the image files you are viewing

What about camera shake? Just using a robust tripod is not enough. Do not raise the center column, if you can avoid it. Whenever I shoot the Moon I use Mirror Lockup and the shutter delay timer.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

HEY HEY HEY Waddizzle! I found the solution, you wee right! It is the Mirro Lock UP LOOOL! wtf i forgot to test that thank ou so much

Jut for the curiosity i will post the final result here (iso 100, mirror lock up, apperture 8.0, shutter speed 0.8, no edditing, no sharpenss applied) RAW to JPEG.

final2.jpg

LVBC90
Contributor

I used the remote control from computer to shoot when the tripod was totaly still no movement at all, no air currents inside my room, The settigs: Canon 80D + 70-200 L IS USM + Extensor III ( IS turned OFF ) shutter 0.8, ISO 100, apperture 8.0

This image is from the Liveview, camera connected to my computer... (no editing on this one...) (PNG.)LivewView paper.png

This one is the photo that was taken using RAW format (Unsharp:strentgh +7 and fineness +7 with Digital Photo Professional) (PNG.)

Raw photo paper (with +7 sharpen & +7 finess).png

The RAW image you posted shows definite chrominance and luminance noise reduction compared to the PNG image which has far more "noise grain" and obvious chrominance noise. 

See what the DPP converted RAW looks like with no NR applied, I suspect it will look like your Live View image.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements