cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ink cartridge compatibility between PIXMA TS5050 and iX6800 series

Petlew
Apprentice

I have two Canon printers, both Uk models:

TS 5050 (A4 scanner/printer) uses 551 ink cartridges.

iX 6800 (A3 printer only) uses 571 ink cartridges.

I have always resisted the temptation to purchase third party (often much cheaper) compatible ink cartridges.

The colour  ink cartridges are by chance, for all intents and purposes identical in shape size and fit in the printers (as are the PGBK 550 and 570 black cartridges), only the cartridge type number seeming to be the only difference. Other that when fitted in the "wrong" printers that the red light fails to come on does the difference become known, meaning the only other difference is the printed circuit board on the cartridge are also different. I know as I "accidentally" did this recently.

I must say straight away that I was not aware of the cartridge phyisical similarities when the printers were purchased and was not a factor in the purchase, but since they are...

Is there any software/firmware update that will allow these cartridges to be swapped between the printers, apart from anything else it would make keeping stocks of cartridges so much easier?. 

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Maybe one of the moderators will respond. 

Until then, my guess would be no. If Canon could make them compatible I don't think they would go to all the trouble and cost of maintaining two separate product lines. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Well profit may be a motive - just saying.  Old 551 cartridges don't work in 581 compatible machine although physically identical.  That the newer cartridges are twice the price is I'm sure entirely unconnected. 

Announcements