cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA PRO-100 Does ink evaporate?

KiwiBird
Contributor

I've had my printer sitting around for about a year before having a chance to finally put it to use. Now i've been using it but barely and all of the ink is about halfway gone already. Does it just slowly evaporate? Or could it have leaked? I don't get streaks or see any other colors smudged if they are in there unless its dry.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Ink does not evaporate.  It can dry up and might do so more quickly if the printer is stored in extreme conditions (room that get very warm), etc.  Some printers only come with starter cartridges, meaning the included set are not filled all the way.  I can't say with certainty since you didn't say what model printer you own.  After a year of storage, its possible the ink has simply started to dry up.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Ink does not evaporate.  It can dry up and might do so more quickly if the printer is stored in extreme conditions (room that get very warm), etc.  Some printers only come with starter cartridges, meaning the included set are not filled all the way.  I can't say with certainty since you didn't say what model printer you own.  After a year of storage, its possible the ink has simply started to dry up.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the explanation! I didn't know that about their initial cartridges. I have a pixma pro 100.

Can you clarify whether there’s a “practical” difference between drying up and evaporating? Because if the ink in the cartridge “dries up,” are you saying that it’s still available for printing?

Thanks.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

No.  Once it dries, its gone and cannot be revived.  Its very important not to let an inkjet printer sit for months without use.  Especially a Pro100.  Gettings clogs out of the tanks or printhead can be difficult and cost a fortune in ink.   I have a reminder set and print something once a month even if I don't plan to use it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements