Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon's future - sorry if this has been posted before

mangurian
Rising Star
4 REPLIES 4

Escalante101
Enthusiast

I am also concerned.  I have been a Canon customer for a number of years now, and I am watching them continue to "cut corners" on their cameras.  I will not buy a Mirrorless camera until such time as Canon decides they are going to engineer and produce a camera that has customer requested features and is in the right price range.  The EOS R has some "issues".  Canon could have made that camera so much better than it is, and it would be in extreme high demand, but no, Canon has to turn out something less than what it could have been.

Here is a DSLR example:  I just bought the Canon 6D Mark II, and I purchased it in spite of lower dynamic range than my present 80D APS-C sensor camera, all the focus points being in the center, etc.  One online critic rated it as the "worst" camera of 2017..  It has just about all the features I was looking for - but - if they would have included the same sensor as the 5D Mark IV, they would have had a camera that would have been enormously popular and made lots of money off of it.  Now, why would Canon do this?  Lose 5D Mark IV customers?    Lose 7D customers, lose 80D customers, lose Rebel customers?

Canon is very good at frustrating their customers, if you ask me.  Sadly, I am not in a position to switch to another brand.   I am concerned that Canon could fall out of the camera / lens market altogether if they do not designing cameras with good features and a tremendous sensor, good focus features, etc.  Make it a "mid-level" full frame camera with an affordable price tag, and it will be in demand.  Canon is not in a position to continue its present strategy of making a camera with lots of good points and then leave a couple of critical ones out.  That just simply has to stop - right now.

Canon can do this, and they know it.  Maybe they make enough money off their copy equipment, printers, etc. that they can afford to lose their photography market.  It gives me the impression that they do not have the courage or the desire to take the risk to put all the best in a camera and sell it at a good price point.  In the end, Canon's photography market could fall apart, and not only will all of us lose, but they will lose as well.

I have no idea if Canon if listening. Someone on the Board of Directors is looking at $$$$ only, but that strategy is going to be Canon's undoing.  Make a high quality camera that people will want to buy.  Take a risk and watch Sony and Nikon panic.

Have come to the conclusion that often time corportations simply don't care what the consumer wants. Was recently out shooting at a motorsport event and started talking with another camera guy. He really wants to get a mirrorless body but has decided to hold off, with the hopes that Canon MAY incorporate all the features that a modern day body SHOULD have.

@inkjunkie wrote:

Have come to the conclusion that often time corportations simply don't care what the consumer wants. Was recently out shooting at a motorsport event and started talking with another camera guy. He really wants to get a mirrorless body but has decided to hold off, with the hopes that Canon MAY incorporate all the features that a modern day body SHOULD have.

Yes right.I totally agree with your viepoint..The kind of reputation canon has in the market and the amount of value it has,expectations are too high with canon.We really hope and expect that canon reanalyse the need and expecxtations of its customers and work according to it.Bcoz canon is really lagging in some features that are basic requirement olf customer in today's world.So i hope canon works for good bcoz we really need it.

I don't think you are going to see sports shooters jumping immediately to mirrorless given the still present limitation in an EVF based versus traditional DSLR optical viewfinder.  This won't be an issue for most shooters but for those of us shooting rapid sports action it is noticeable.

Once mirrorless technology provides true advantages over my 1 series DSLR bodies then I will consider a change but for now I am very happy with the standard SLR image display and long battery life.  The weight reduction from losing the mirror and associated mechanism really are not an important feature when the current weight of a 1 series body makes a nice balance to the long fast primes often used on these bodies for sports shooting.

This could be the camera version of the automotive OHC versus OHV discussion, two paths to the same end with different benefits and drawbacks and both co-existing for decades with each approach being used where it is best suited.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements