cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 650 film camera with odd lenses?

JimCanon
Apprentice

I have a wonderful Canon EOS 650 and would like to use some old screw mount lenses.  I already have adapters to mount the lenses, but need advise on using the the metering.  The display in the finder is hard to figure out.  What is the easiest, best option to use these old, uncoupled lenses with my built in meter?  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Welcome Jim,

Your old "screw" lenses will likely only work in manual mode with an adapter on a EOS 650.  Metering may not work accurately or at all.  This might depend on the lens.

I am not sure how many old film buffs stick around here.  Maybe someone else will chime in.   

I have siblings who have never seen a dial phone, or a camera that shoots film.  They have no idea what an exchange was or that computer screens were once monochrome.     

I was around for film.  B&W, and Darkroom101 is how I learned photography.  It some ways its still an art.

Spoiler
But

Film is pretty expensive these days

Then there is development

Time before you get the results and possible missed photo opportunities

No post production editing capability

Is shooting with film nostalgic because of the hardware or are you interested in its artistic aspect?

Why I ask.  I use DxO for my post.  They have a product called FilmPack.  It includes an analog renderings of positive and negative films.  B&W, Silver Halide, etc.  If you are interested in the artistic beauty film offers, you can do it digitally.   

Saving you time and expense in the long run.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I started shooting in 1974 so I am no novice. The meter does function, but not sure what it is telling me. I have just begun my research on this curiosity. Thanks

Helpful info starts on page 40 

Instruction Manual (global.canon)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Your easiest way is probably a hand help light meter.  The camera won't stop down the lens and the lens needs to have an aperture ring. Just set everything to manual and shoot away using the light meter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements