cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 10x30 IS Sticky Body

lindaagee
Apprentice

Camera body is disgusting. These binoculars are not cheap and work well except for this problem which makes them unusable. This is a manufacturer's defect and in my opinion, Canon should compensate the customer.

Binoculars.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jeffbrew
Contributor

I hear you. I guess that's a price to pay for valuing function over form. Mine are kinda funky too, but having them back in good working shape is satisfying enough to make it all positive for me.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This eventually happens to all rubber/plasticized devices after years of handling.

The only way to fix is to have them recoated or dipped....  which is obviously not practical.   

Those must be old or were not stored properly.  This is what they look like when new.

shadowsports_0-1650933694004.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

lindaagee
Apprentice

These binoculars are about 10 years old, very lightly used and always stored in the case. I've had lots of binoculars and cameras over the years and never had this problem.  Will probably go with Nikon this time.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Age will deteriorate things...me included. I have two bite alarms for fishing. Same problem as the rubber coating is sticky after nine years. I learned to live with it.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Jeffbrew
Contributor

Bad as these look, this is not a hopeless case.

I had the same problem and fixed them quickly and with very little expense and effort. You can see the details in another post I wrote. The fix is to spray-coat them with several coats of lacquer (from a can - Rustoleum for example). Place them on a board - objective lenses down to protect them - and protect the eyepiece lenses with bottle-caps. Don’t worry. The spray lacquer won’t harm anything else.
Give the binoculars about 4 coats of lacquer  (do it outside!) about 30 minutes apart. A final coat or two after about a week is a good idea.
I did mine about a year ago and they are still fixed. I think they look kind of cool too, but maybe that’s just me.

I did that and I can hold them without getting black sticky stuff all over my hands but they're pretty ugly.

Jeffbrew
Contributor

I hear you. I guess that's a price to pay for valuing function over form. Mine are kinda funky too, but having them back in good working shape is satisfying enough to make it all positive for me.

jkzt1000
Contributor

I used rubbing alcohol and a lot of paper towels to remove the sticky layer on my dad's binoculars.  Even touching them would leave black residue all over my hand.  He had been using duct tape to try to hold them.  Here's a picture after the cleaning:

after.jpg

creaser
Apprentice

I have exact same issue, it is nasty and makes them unusable. I would never have bought them if I would have known they are totally worthless after 10 years (shelf life). That is unacceptable. 

These can usually be re-coated by our Factory Service Center. You just need to register the binocs on our site and send them in. If they're under warranty, it's covered. If they're out of warranty, there is a fee - the site will let you know what the cost is if it's out of warranty. Get started at canon.us/account

Announcements