cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x-rays

Pozo
Contributor

I will be taking a flight with my dslr and gear for the first time next week. My gear is a T3i, 3 canon lenses, and a couple Sandisk Extreme SD cards. Do I need to worry about x-rays at security damaging the gear or the info on the cards when I return?? I am pretty sure this is no issue but I wanted to ask the forum, because I'm sure people in the forum fly with dslr's all the time. I was going to take the battery out of the camera body but that is the only precaution I was planning on taking.

Thanks forum

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

My cameras, memory cards & batteries have been through the airport X ray machines MANY times with zero problems.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have heard of strong magnets doing damage but not x-rays.  You are probably thinking of the film days when we did have to be careful with the film.  Not the caameras, though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority

The radiation from an airport x-ray machine during the time it takes to x-ray your camera is like three hours in an airplane at 10000 meters altitude. The x-ray machine for the checked bagage is stronger.

Announcements