cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

while i continue to be a loyal Canon user, Canon lacks behind Nikon in picture quality, why is that?

Miri
Apprentice

Even their large mega pixel camera outshines Canon offerings. Canon just seems to do better in marketing 😞

17 REPLIES 17

Aside from all of this DR stuff, I think that the real place that Canon lags behind Nikon is in terms of "band for the buck".  Nikon delivers the D800 for $3k, Canon's equivalent sits at $3.5k.  Nikon just launched their D600 at $2.1k which has specifications similar enough to the 5DIII to make people think twice about the 5DIII I think.

Then there is the AF system that they put in the 6D -- it looks to be the same as what they had in the 5DII (what is up with that?).

Anyway, like the OP I use Canon gear and continue to do so but some of their business decisions as of late seem a bit strange.

Thanks David for that excellent technical explanation! I've always wanted to hear from someone with the relevant know-how 🙂

I wonder about the 6D's AF system too, but it seems that on paper it's not entirely pointless. At least if you compare it to the D600's TINY focusing area (heck, even the 7D's seems very slightly small to me) and low-light focusing...

svhoyw
Apprentice

Hi,

Pricing is an issue. Take the 5Dm3 and the 24-70 mkII. Comparing to other options out there I really consider to sell all my Canon glas and vote with my wallet soon if nothing change. I have used Canon for more than 20 years, but I feel not wel treated recently and I will pull the plug soon if nothing changes. So please act ASAP or you loose another customer soon.

Best regards,

Steve

RexGig
Enthusiast

I prefer the ergonomics and controls of my Canon 7D cameras, and the 5D Mark III continues that trend. When I have to hand-hold a camera for extended periods, and shoot in the dark, ergonomics and controls are VERY important. 

The newer Nikons, up to and including the D800 and D600, feel more brick-like in my hands, and have controls that differ from earlier Nikons I have used. (I still use older Nikons.) My aging right wrist starts to ache almost immediately if I hold a D800 or D600 with just my right hand bearing the weight. This is an individual thing, of course, but very important to me.

I am lucky, as I am paid to spend much of my work time using cameras. My employer does not require that my images be recorded by any brand of camera. 

Would 36 MP be nice? Well, perhaps, but 18 MP is still plenty for right now. 10 MP is actually enough most of the time, for my needs. The 5D Mark III remains at the top of my wish list?

Miri
Apprentice

http://photorumors.com/2012/11/21/dxomark-pentax-k-5-ii-is-currently-the-best-aps-c-camera/?utm_sour...

i am not a pixel peeper, but where is the corporate pride? 

CLS has been in Nikon and canon puts some capabilities in 7d but not 5d3, what? Why?

Nikon/Sony sensors seem to improve and canon just confuses the market with more models with basically same sensor but crippling features.

then there are the great center pinch lens caps,wow! Nice expensive plastic.

canon is just not attractive in terms of offerings and pricing.

jfo
Rising Star

@Miri wrote:

http://photorumors.com/2012/11/21/dxomark-pentax-k-5-ii-is-currently-the-best-aps-c-camera/?utm_sour...

i am not a pixel peeper, but where is the corporate pride? 

CLS has been in Nikon and canon puts some capabilities in 7d but not 5d3, what? Why?

Nikon/Sony sensors seem to improve and canon just confuses the market with more models with basically same sensor but crippling features.

then there are the great center pinch lens caps,wow! Nice expensive plastic.

canon is just not attractive in terms of offerings and pricing.

Sounds like you want to buy Nikon!  Go for it!  

You won't get an engineering or marketing answer for your questions here.  LIkewise, try to ask Nikon why they don't have lenses comparable to the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II or 8-15mm f/4 fisheye.  Canon whoops on them with these.  

Each photographer (+cinematographer/videographer) decides the "best" system for their needs including, as other people have discussed, lens choices, features, ergonomics, etc.  

I can’t quite figure out the fascination with Nikon CLS -- it must be that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence or something like that. I am currently using a 5DIII with the 600EX RT and I am amazed at how well it works. I don't see how a D800 and an SB900 could do any better but, at the same time, I doubt that it is any worse either. I think that Canon has Nikon beat with the latest round of flash equipment, it works well and has a radio trigger built in.  What is it that you see in CLS?

As for the Sony/Nikon sensor thing, the only place that they have Canon beat is in terms of read noise (shadow SNR at low ISO).  In everything else the two companies appear to be on par.  If your photography routinely involves the need to lift shadows a large amount or if you are one of those “techno-dilettante” types who can’t be satisfied w/o knowing that their gear excels in every measurable parameter, you may be better off with something from Nikon (make it something recent).  I would love to see Canon solve this, I believe that they need to, and I am quite sure that they will but it is hardly the huge end of the world thing that some people make it out to be. 

Samsen
Enthusiast

This statement is very loosely placed.

I don't see that lower IQ in question her and then which model what lens and what other variables.

If at all the difference of any comparative class tools between Canon and Nikon are very minimal and both are excellent photocapturing tools. Its good for consumer to have the choices and you won't go wrong in either way.

Only problem I have with Nikon is that "Spell Check" here can not recognize Nikon and wants me to replace it with"Nixon":):)

Announcements