cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from the SL1 - T8i, 77D, SL3?

amatula15
Enthusiast

Hi,

For awhile now I have been considering upgrading my Canon SL1 which I have owned for 6 years.

I had posted awhile back on this, but then looked elsewhere (Olympus, Panasonic) at image stabilized bodies (as sharp, stabilized images can sometimes be a challenge for me -- I hike so a tripod is not always feasible).

But I have been getting creative with stabilization and find myself improving in this area, so wondering if perhaps a Canon APS-C DSLR camera might work as an upgrade.

I do like the advanced functionality qand lighter weight of the 77D and T8i (vs the 80D and 90D which are heavier), such as HDR, bracketing, customizations... And I want to work with star trails and night photography a bit more, as well as using ND filters (have not done that yet).

I own the EF 24 mm F/2.8 IS and considering addeing the 18-55 F/2.8 and 10-18 mm lens if I stay with Canon APS-C.

What I am wondering would there be a noticeable difference iin image quality 77D vs T8i vs SL3?

(since I am a landscape photographer, better dynamic range is goo!)

And would one of those serve my purposes better than others?

Mostly I like to use out of camera JPEGs but want to "upgrade" that too and do some raw processing, but I don't want to spend a lot of time with it generally.

I want to stay light as I am a hiker who hikes long distances.
I don't want mirrorless yet due to its infant stages....

Thank you and all the best!
Annie

27 REPLIES 27

Annie,

Anytime you choose lenses with large apertures like f2.8 on the Canon and f1.8 on the Siggy you are talking weight.  No way around it.  Fortunately for a landscape photographer large apertures are not required or even desired. As for general purpose these are two of the best lenses made anywhere.

"I would not recommend the Sigma 18-35mm simply because DPP cannot perform lens correction on it."

This has to be the most ridiculous reason for not getting the best lens for your needs.  Because you can't use a free editor.

"The 50 mm F/1.8 ssounds like a great idea!"

It's not. Smiley Sad 50mm on a cropper is not a friendly focal length. Add to the fact you can't zoom it and it is not a lens I would ever recommend for a hiker or landscape photographer. It is a specialized purpose lens.  It make a wonderful second lens.

It seems weight is still is your main most concern. Balancing that and what you want to do the T8i and the standard kit EF-S 18-55mm is STM lens is probably your best go. Later on if you feel you need an ultra fast lens do check out the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens.

One other thing check out the Black Rapid strap. It will make the weight of camera gear disappear. 

I use them on all my 1 series with very heavy lenses on them. Sometimes two at a time!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, Ebiggs!

Especially on the Black Rapid strap! I will check into that!

I am glad that lens caliberation is not an issue.
I am not that advanced a photographer and don't want to stress any work caliberating cameras or riguring out how to handle non-Canon lens issues in post editing software.

Actually, my lens desires are something in the 9-16 range -- I want to experiment with that.

I do love the idea of a F/1.8 lens (despite the added weight) as I don't usually carry a tripod and could use a higher ISO with a F/1.8 lens than I could with a 3.5-5.6 lens.

I am going to check out my 17-50 F/2.8 Sigma and see how that goes!

Annie

@amatula15 wrote:

Thank you, everyone!

I purchased a used Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 during lunch. I can return it if I don't like it -- will check it out tomorrow. I did love the weight (the store also had a Canon 18-55 F/2.8 too)

The T8i does have HDR filters and some level of customization.  I believe it was the replacement for the 77D.

Thank you, again, everyone. Now I just have to see if the 90D is too heavy...

Annie

Yes, the T8i may have in-camera HDR.  It probably requires that you shoot JPEG, and it probably does not save the original files.  Most of the time, you want to process HDR images in post, but I do not think that feature has been added to DPP, yet.

But, I mentioned how Rebels lack many features that photographers find to be highly desireable.  HDR is probably not in anyone's top 5 because most people prefer to process the images in post.  One key feature that Rebels lack is weather sealing.

8CED50FB-E1B3-4B3D-9A74-C57B69C40595.jpeg

The 90D seems able to survive getting wet, although I would never let it get quite that wet.  If one of your primary use cases, are taking hikes and capturing landscape photos, then you will want a camera with a more rugged body than a Rebel series.

------------------------------------

I like to hike in the woods, too, although not very long hikes.  I use a Black Rapid Sport camera strap when I am walking about on level ground.  It is not comfortable to wear when you are hiking in woods.  Besides, the camera is open to being bumped and banged.  

I use a Lowepro Toploader Holster when I am hiking in the woods.  Often times i use the holster when I am wandering around on level ground at an event, because it "hides" the camera.  The Black Rapid Strap is great to use when you need your camera in your hands "right now."  Iuse it most often when shooting sports, or at an indoor social event.

If you're taking long hikes, then you want gear that does not need to be pampered.  This goes for both your camera body and your lens.  I would advise either the 80D, or preferably the 90D.  The T8i may be great in the backyard, but it may be a little too fragile for long hikes, which almost always involves some sort of climbing up and down hills, and going through brush.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, Waddizzle,

I will look into the Lowepro Toploader Holster too!

Yes, weather proofing does sound better, but I know there are ways to protect gear (covers, etc) and I have done some of that with my SL1.  It's managed to survive 6 years although I haven't put it through the tests in your photo with rain, etc.

I'd prefer weather resisentence though...

The 90D weighs more and from what I read on this board and elsewhere does have some issues (which hopefully firmware updates will resolve). But I can check it out!

Thank you and all the best!

Annie

"Yes, weather proofing does sound better,..."

Weather sealing is as easy and cheap as a zip plastic bag and a rubber band.

water.jpg

You are placing too much attention to post editing than you need to.  Most of it now is totally automated. Upon import from the camera, presets will handle lens correction and apply your selected in camera setting and add your copyright. All as you sip a nice mocha latte. Weight still seems your main most important issue. One last thing don't believe all you read on the ole inner web about the 90D or any gear for that matter.

EB

"You are placing too much attention to post editing than you need to.  Most of it now is totally automated. Upon import from the camera, presets will handle lens correction and apply your selected in camera setting and add your copyright. All as you sip a nice mocha latte. Weight still seems your main most important issue. One last thing don't believe all you read on the ole inner web about the 90D or any gear for that matter."

Sorry, but that is incorrrect.  

You are talking about what Adobe Photoshop can do.  You are forgetting that Canon camera bodies do not offer lens correction on JPEGs created in the camera on third party lenses, and neither does their Digital Photo Professional software..

Canon's DPP software does not allow you to edit EXIF data much less add copyright information to imported files.  In fact, Canon's DPP Software doesn't even import files.  All it does is browse folders on your hard drive.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Sorry, but that is incorrrect. "

Sorry but I am not incorrect. And I was talking Lightroom not PS and certainly not DPP4. It is common knowledge I am not a DPP4 fan.  I only recommend DPP4 as a last resort to folks that don't want the best editor or don't want to buy one. Other post editing software also offer presets that wil do that, too. Darktable comes to mind as one and I believe it is free also.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Sorry, but that is incorrrect. "

Sorry but I am not incorrect. And I was talking Lightroom not PS and certainly not DPP4. It is common knowledge I am not a DPP4 fan.  I only recommend DPP4 as a last resort to folks that don't want the best editor or don't want to buy one. Other post editing software also offer presets that wil do that, too. Darktable comes to mind as one and I believe it is free also.

I will say only this about DPP4: It is not a panacea, and there may be times when you do need a more powerful editor. But spend the time it takes to learn to use it correctly before accepting as truth the incessant cackling of its detractors.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ebiggs, I like that!
Can you somewhat easily set settings with the plastic over it?
I will check into the 90D when I get to the store 🙂 Thank you for all your help!

Yes, I leave the back of the bag open. Or if you prefer, you can completely seal it. It is easy to change settings.

EB
Announcements