cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from T4i to 5d mark ii

parmodmehta
Apprentice

Have T4i with 17-55 F2.8. Photos come out good and clear.

Thinking of upgrade to 5d mark ii, don't want to overspend on mark iii and beyond (yet)

Thoughts?

16 REPLIES 16

@parmodmehta wrote:

Have T4i with 17-55 F2.8. Photos come out good and clear.

Thinking of upgrade to 5d mark ii, don't want to overspend on mark iii and beyond (yet)

Thoughts?

That sounds to me like an upgrade in name only. And I wouldn't want to buy any used camera that Canon will no longer repair.

Note that you'd have to buy a new lens. Your 17-55 f/2.8 won't work on a 5D2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Sure need lens upgrade.

What would you suggest?

@parmodmehta wrote:

Sure need lens upgrade.

What would you suggest?

As a lens for the 5D2? The EF 24-105mm f/4L.

As a camera upgrade? A refurbished 80D.

One other point: The T4i wasn't a very successful camera, back in its day. But as I recall, it was because its plastic covering tended to deteriorate and get sticky, not because it didn't take good pictures.

Bob

For the lens, I have been thinking EF 24-70mm f/2.8. The body I prefer a FF. What would you suggest to be a worthy FF upgrade over T4i?

From the new camera I should be able to take good, clear, and crisp still pictures. I don't care much about WIFI, Video, or any fancy features. I take family pics in a variety of conditions - indoors, outdoors, dim light conditions, etc. T4i so far has served me well, after I upgraded the lens to Canon 17-55 f2.8 I was able to capture detailed pics in low light, those were quite challenges using the stock lenses.

I don't want to overspend, but I am not ready to compromise either. I am looking to invest in something that would work as much as T4i did for the next ten years or so.

@parmodmehta wrote:

For the lens, I have been thinking EF 24-70mm f/2.8. The body I prefer a FF. What would you suggest to be a worthy FF upgrade over T4i?

That's a fine lens, and it pairs nicely with the 70-200mm f/2.8L (of which there are at least two versions). But you say you're trying not to overspend, and neither of them is cheap.

The obvious FF cameras are the 5D Mk III and Mk IV and (if you want to be a pioneer) the new mirrorless R. For somewhat less money, there are the 6D Mk II and the mirrorless RP. I've never used the 6D2 or either of the R series cameras, but there are those in this forum who have.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@parmodmehta wrote:

That's a fine lens, and it pairs nicely with the 70-200mm f/2.8L (of which there are at least two versions). But you say you're trying not to overspend, and neither of them is cheap.

The obvious FF cameras are the 5D Mk III and Mk IV and (if you want to be a pioneer) the new mirrorless R. For somewhat less money, there are the 6D Mk II and the mirrorless RP. I've never used the 6D2 or either of the R series cameras, but there are those in this forum who have.

The full frame DSLRs mean giving up on using the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8.  You can use an adapter with the R Series to use either EF or EF-S lenses.  I think the RP is a really good upgrade path for Rebel users to a full frame body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

But the EF-S adapter will automagically give you an APS-C crop frame out of the FF sensor.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
EOS RP
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements