cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selling images

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

what is the best way to sell stock photographs? I have looked at istock and am thinking about it I come from a photography background such as college and what not. what is the best  sites out their I am a novice when it comes to selling stock any advise and can you really make a living out of it regards Paul.

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, it isn't worth the effort.  If you want to be a photographer, go do real photographer stuff.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

cicopo
Elite

If you want to sell photos you need to do something exceptional in one of several fields. Birds in flight, aviation & fashion come to mind but be ready to spend a lot of money on gear, a lot of time post processing & a lot of time to be "discovered". If that doesn't sound like an easy path to follow the next best way to make some money is wedding photography which is high pressure & you can't screw up. You'll need to be exceptional at what you shoot to break into many of the popular fields that can become profitable.

If that sounds a bit tough maybe try shooting kids sports locally & hope the parents buy your work. Remember everyone thinks they can buy a "professional" camera & rely on "spray & pray" to make them look good but you need to do what all the rest fail at.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

If by "selling images" you mean how do I become a professional photographer, forget it. I sincerly beleive that if you had what it takes to make a living from photography you would be working now as opposed to wasting time here on this forum. If you simply want to sell a picture now and then there is no answer, there are too many variables. Your location, photo opportunities, local economy, your skill level, how much money are you willing to invest, it goes on and on.

Peter
Authority
Authority
The best way to sell is to find something you are good at. I have firefighters and fire that sell good. With that said I can tell you that I made more money in a week to send invoices to all of them who "stole" my pictures from Sweden hills than I got from years of selling stock photos.
Announcements