cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

saving photos for keeps

mangurian
Rising Star

Once I have completed retouching, I save two versions of each image - CR2 and tif.

What would I lose, if anything in saving Jpeg 2000 lossless instead of the tif files.

The jpeg 2000 are sooooo much smaller.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You lose whatever information that the JPEG feels is not observable.

I used to have a program - It might have been ImageFX for the Amiga! - that would compress the file under varying levels of JPEG quality and report the bit-to-bit difference to the original on a graph.

Jpeg 2000 (jp2)  unlike jpg, loses no image pixel info at all.  It is a lossless compression (just as zip is for other file types).

I too had the Amga graphics program.  Nice to know we are not all dead.  Wonderful days to be computing.

The best and probably to most used by pros is an unaltered cr2 and a LR or ACR version with edits associated. I.E. a cr2 with its xmp tag and/or LR with its catalog.  While I was working full time I stored photos in three places.  Now that I have retired but still doing some work I only store them in two places.

Personally I rarely ever, to never, use or used tiff or any jpg version for long term saving in mind.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements