cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refurbished slr camera? what does it mean? it is used already? 2nd hand? with small damaged camera??

resty
Apprentice

refurbished slr camera?

what does it mean? it is used already?

2nd hand?

or  with small damaged camera??

7 REPLIES 7

Skirball
Authority

I don't know what Canon's policy is on refurbished product, so they can jump in and correct me if the following is wrong, but in general:  refurbished product was something at was returned as opposed to something that was simply used and then sold.  A refurb could be something used during a 30 day return window and sent back, or something that had a defect and was returned, floor model, etc.  But a refurb will be rebuilt to spec and 100% tested, and usually comes with a warranty for a reasonable time period.  Most companies use lot inspection, meaning that they test samples from each batch made and if the samples are ok they assume everything is.  A refurb will be 100% inspected, which is more than you can say for the product that you buy brand new.

Personally I have zero qualms about buying a refurb lens from Canon and I have very little issue buying a camera body.  You never know what's inside with electronics so I guess I have a little hesitancy with the Camera bodies.  But if the price difference is significant to me, then I'd do it without regret.

I bought a refurb and honestly I couldn't tell it from new. The battery and LCD were sealed. I was told by a Canon rep that most refurbs are returned or refused stock possibly overstock or opened or damaged package. They all go thru a full tech inspection and come with a manufacturors warranty. I was told that they do not sell damaged/repaired cameras

Some people claim that refurbished SLR and lens are better than brand new because like SKirball said it is 100% tested and not mass-product like brand new. They're calibrated and tested individually.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Skirball you make a great point!

Resty... I would recommend refurbished products if you find a good deal. A lot of lens I try out I would test them prior to purchase.  I never had a Canon Lens issue or malfunction on lenses and some are very old! They are made very well.

thanks for ur help guys.. so were is the best shop can i buy the refurb one?? on cannon website?? thankx

Yes. Buy direct from Canon. Great deal on the t4i body right now.

Refurbish implies to me previously used or repaired.  Although they may be perfectly fine, when I see their price, the savings are not worth it when comparred to getting a brand new item with a warranty.

Announcements