cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help picking a drsl camara

patricia2626
Contributor

i want to buy drsl camara for school and for me as hobbie i am not sure of a budget?

i am from midwest city where moslty budiling and people i want it something dust water proof as midwest weahter is so random.  

i may be going to anime furry mlp cons not sure good lenses for human texture and colorfur customes furs as i may do later some cosplayer models shoots and will micro lense good close picture with high for animals birds bugs? 

28 REPLIES 28

what can i do and not do with a rebel cannon 80d vs mirrorless camara

@patricia2626wrote:

The 80D has a lot of “professional features” that are not found in the mirrorless cameras.  For one, the 80D has AFMA, auto focus micro adjustment, which allows you to tune the camera to a particular lens’ performance.

The 80D is also significantly larger and heavier, in part, because it uses larger batteries.  Larger batteries mean that it is capable of controlling the larger AF motors found in “L” lenses than the smaller battery in a mirrorless camera.  It also means you can get more shots from the a single charge with a professional grade lens: hundreds of shots compared to dozens of shots.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@patricia2626wrote:

Someday mirrorless cameras will replace DSLRs, but that time hasn't yet arrived. One problem with today's mirrorless cameras is that they tend to be underpowered. Their electronic viewfinders draw a lot of power, so one has to change batteries more often. The manufacturer could, of course, provide a larger, more powerful battery, but that would increase the price. More importantly, one of the main advantages of mirrorless is that the absence of the mirror mechanism allows the camera to be smaller and lighter. But that advantage is compromised if the battery has to be larger and heavier. Battery technology improves over time, and eventually this problem will be solved. But in the meantime, a serious photographer who can't afford multiple cameras is better off with a DSLR.

Note that virtually all "point and shoot" cameras are mirrorless. But their sensors are smaller, and they often lack an eye-level viewfinder. Such cameras have their place, but they lack important capabilities that a serious photographer needs.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

is it safe to buy used ebay other stores

@patricia2626wrote:

is it safe to buy used ebay other stores

I would not recommend it.  More times than not, you will get neither a warranty or a guarantee.  The best place to get deals on guaranteed Canon gear is the Refurbished Section of the Canon OnLine Store.  There is a link in the lower right corner of this page.

Personally, I think you need to learn more about cameras, and how you want to use one before spending big bucks on a DSLR type of camera.  As a beginner I would recommend one of the PowerShot Series of cameras

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-powershot-digital-cameras

Here is a link to one of the cameras that has already been recommended to you, PowerShot G9x Mark II.  It is well within your budget.  Use the extra money to buy accessories, like a quality bag or a professional grade, alloy tripod with a replaceable head, not a plastic tripod that shakes and breaks.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...is it safe to buy used ebay other stores"

It is a s safe or safer than buying used gear from any source.  Like Craigslist or Varagesale for instance.  You need to have a Paypal account which offers money back guarantee if something is not as represented. Also a lot of legitimate stores like Adorama and KEH use eBay.  You need to read the description carefully as some retailers are not authorized Canon dealers so there will be no Canon USA warranty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Simple solution, the Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II Digital Camera at $450.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
As I mentioned earlier, decide if a DSLR is what you really need. What is your use case? Will you be buying multiple lenses or will you just use the kit lens? What will you be doing with your images? Printing them or posting on Facebook or Instagram?

Once you and we know what your needs are we can advise better. A DSLR is not the appropriate camera for everyone.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Weather-resistent bodies will break the $500-600 budget... in part because it's the mid-range and up bodies that get this treatment (and they're all $1000 and up) but also becuse only the L series lenses get the treatment (and not all of them).  The "L" series are the highest end lenses Canon makes ... most are above $1000 for just the lens (only a few are less than $1000).

If you expect to encounter poor weather, the more affordable option would be to get a rain sleeve for the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements