cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my many thanks regarding advise

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello

I wanted to say a big thank you to every one who has responded to my questions. I have been on many forums and can say this is the best I have come across and I wanted to say a big thank you and shout out to.  ScottyP ebiggs1 TTMartin RobertTheFat cicopo Waddizzle . You are all very helpful and my many thanks.

You guys are fantasic while I have still not made my mind up weather I made the right choice sigma 150-600 vs canon 100-400 mk2. I have a alot of respect for canon products all be it a bit exspensive I finally decided to go with the canon mk2 100-400 I am still on the fence what to do with the 300 f4 and 70-200 mk1 2.8 as these lenses are heavy things to carry.

I did want to say my exsperience with my mk1 2x extender is it makes the quality very bad almost grainy when I look through the view finder so tend to stick to the 1.4.

I have managed to get the 100-400 mk2 for £1200 thats $1674.00 which is a grey import from austrailia  I saved myself £600/$837. In the UK we do get ripped off on prices that europe and america pay.

But apart from that wanted to say thanks to every one I will be uploading a video on reviewing it as I can compare it to the 300 + 1.4 extender. It does seem the extra reach at 400mm is not that much or shall we call it 370mm.

But wanted to say thank you out of the many forums out their you guys are the best. Regards Paul.

32 REPLIES 32

ScottyP
Authority

Congratulations on the new 100-400. I may get one of those myself if my girls regain an interest in soccer. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"But apart from that wanted to say thanks to every one I will be uploading a video on reviewing it as I can compare it to the 300 + 1.4 extender. It does seem the extra reach at 400mm is not that much or shall we call it 370mm." 

Congrats from me, too. 

Sometimes it is easier to capture fast moving action with good results by going with a higher quality lens that has a slightly shorter focal length, and cropping it in post.  It's hard to track a fast moving subject, like a bird in flight, with a long lens.  But, it is not as difficult with a shorter lens.

I like the 100-400 range of focal length.  Combine that range with Image Stabilization version II, improved glass over version I, and it adds up to the next lens on my bucket list, which would complete my collection of zoom lenses.  I'm going to sell my Big Sigma 150-500.  It has too much vignetting, which has scared me away from the 150-600 Contemporary

[ EF 16-35mm f/2.8L IS II USM,  EF 24-105 f.4L IS USM,  EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ]

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was going to get the new 50-500 sigma once a time ago but after much research decided not to buy it like the 150-500 it is not a sharp lense at 500mm alot of people said this normally if alot say the same thing you get the picture.

one more thing putting the 1.4 extender on allows you to manually focus which is  bummer however their is a side affect the is works even when auto focus does not.

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

I was going to get the new 50-500 sigma once a time ago but after much research decided not to buy it like the 150-500 it is not a sharp lense at 500mm alot of people said this normally if alot say the same thing you get the picture.

I have gotten some pretty sharp images from the lens.  Cropped roughtly 50%, taken while sitting on a boulder.

IMG_2331.Cropped_050.JPG

But, it has too much vignetting for a full frame.  It is probably a better fit with an APS-C sensor body.

"I'm going to sell my Big Sigma 150-500.  It has too much vignetting, which has scared me away from the 150-600 Contemporary"

That is faulty reasoning.  The newer 150-600mm either the C or S is not the same lens as the 150-500mm or 50-500mm,  Not even close.

The fact is the 150-600mm C or S or even the Tamron and the ef 100-400mm II are so very close in IQ, it is simply a preference choice.  And whether or not you need 600mm vs 400mm.

I am not trying to talk you out of selling your 150-500mm because I bought three of them and sold two.  They were that bad. The last one and the one I still have is a real nice lens.  It isn't in the same league as the afore mentioned lenses but for the price it is nice.

My personal preference and choice is the Sigam S.  If you can't handel the extreme weight than I recommend the Tamron model.  The Tammy is better weather sealed than the Sigma C.  If you don't need 600mm by all means the best choice is the Canon 100-400mm II.  Not the first version, BTW.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I'm going to sell my Big Sigma 150-500.  It has too much vignetting, which has scared me away from the 150-600 Contemporary"

That is faulty reasoning.  The newer 150-600mm either the C or S is not the same lens as the 150-500mm or 50-500mm,  Not even close.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what happened.  I don't know if I failed to see it, or if it suddenly crept into the lens. 

IMG_4312.web.JPG

I have seen some vignetting in older shots, but nothing like what it started doing.  Faulty reasoning?  Perhaps, but can you blame me?  Don't worry.  You're not talking me out of selling it.  It's already done and gone.  Weeks ago. 

As far as the Tammy and Siggy 150-600mm weather sealing goes, the product descriptions at B&H have not convinced me that whatever sealing they might have, that it is not as good as the Canon 100-400 ver. 2.  I've decided to put a priority on weather sealing, over image quality, on any future lens choices.  If it ain't sealed up, then I don't want it.

It isn't faulty reasoning to admit the 150-500mm isn't a real good lens. The ones I had/have all exhibited IS problems not what you are seeing.  Their IQ was/is pretty good.  It is faulty to say since it wasn't any good the Sigma 150-600mm isn't good either.  

"I've decided to put a priority on weather sealing, over image quality, on any future lens choices.  If it ain't sealed up, then I don't want it."

You just sold yourself on the SIgma S model.  It is the best weather sealed lens of the three by a long margin.  Maybe the best there is period.  It even has a special coating on its front element that protects it even more.  You don't get that with out giving, however.  It weighs a ton.  There is no plastic.  Mine does exhibit slightly faster AF and slightly better IQ than the others. Including the 100-400mm II.

And one other feature no one else has yet is the USB dock  Firmware upgradeable by yourself!  AF customizable by you, too...

BTW, the SIgma S is far better weather sealed than your 6D.  It will be the weal link if you do get a S.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"BTW, the SIgma S is far better weather sealed than your 6D.  It will be the weal link if you do get a S." 

Yup, I am aware of that.  That's the idea.  Anything that is worse than the 6D, I don't want.  I want to limit myself to having just one known weak link, not multiple ones.

[edit]  I wasn't suggesting that if the 150-500 falls short, then the 150-600 will fall short, too.  I'm just saying that the 150-500 had enough issues to scare me away from Sigma for at least a while.

Announcements