cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory card is not regestering in the camera?

elw21102
Contributor

I am getting a message saying NO MEMORY CARD in my Powershot SX20IS . I have tried removing the card also tried using a new card. Nothing is working. Is there something else I can do? I really like this camera and would love to use it again.

Thanks,

Eileen

6 REPLIES 6

ScottyP
Authority

Have you been using the camera regularly up until now, and it just suddenly stopped working?  If you were using your card in a different camera, or if you are using a brand new card, did you "FORMAT" the card in this camera before trying to use it?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hello,

I did use the card in another camera. But, I also tried other cards that were formatted.

Eileen

Exactly what card are you trying to use in what camera. Many new cards can't be used in cameras designed before the newer card specs became standardized.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I mention in my first post I have the Canon Powershot SX20IS and I am using the SanDisk Ultra 4GB memory card.

ScottyP
Authority

Other than a broken camera, there are 2 possibilities with the old card:

1.)  Old card is now dead, or

2.) Old card is OK, but was reformatted to the other camera, and you need to reformat it in this SX20IS.

I would test the old card as follows:

1.)  Is old card now dead?  Try it in your other camera and see if it works there.

2.)  Old card was formatted for new camera and needs to be reformatted by the old camera?  Try reformatting it in the old camera.

As for the new card:

It could be that as Cicopo says it is too new to work in the old camera.  I would nevertheless try reformatting the new card in your old camera just to be sure.

As for the camera:

It could just be dead, but if it was working fine last time you tried it, and it has not been dropped, nor stored in a hot storage unit or something, it seems odd for it to have died while not even being used.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I can not figure out to format when the camera is saying that there is no card to be formated.

Thanks for your help, it might just be the camera and not the card. I have tried other cards.

Announcements