cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this battery original LP-E8

virusstar
Apprentice

Hello there,

I bought a battery, the seller claims it is an original batter only chinese version.
can someone confirm it? or is it fake? The one on the left supposed to be original in question.

Thank you for the answers.

http://s30.postimg.org/4g90jtlr4/WP_20160408_11_37_16_Raw.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

" Is it dangerous to use it in a grip too?"

It can be dangerous,... period.  Sometimes 3rd world batteries work OK.  You have to know what you have first.  To me it isn't worth the risk so I don't use them and I don't recommend anyone else do so. The main point, neither does Canon because of the disastrous possibilities.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

It looks fake to me.

Counterfeit Canon products are harder to spot than you think. And more destructive than you think.

Report any potential counterfeit products or sources

Call 1-855-46-CANON

Counterfeit Batteries

.ABOUT COUNTERFEITS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is a fake!  It can be dangerous and/or disastrous.

EB

i got a refound so it is good. Is it dangerous to use it in a grip too? thenk you

" Is it dangerous to use it in a grip too?"

It can be dangerous,... period.  Sometimes 3rd world batteries work OK.  You have to know what you have first.  To me it isn't worth the risk so I don't use them and I don't recommend anyone else do so. The main point, neither does Canon because of the disastrous possibilities.

EB

thank you for the info! 🙂

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It is a fake!  It can be dangerous and/or disastrous.

Tom & Ernie,

How did you spot it as being fake? Was it that the four electrical connectors looked different on the two batteries? I assume that there's a "real" Chinese version of the battery; otherwise I suppose they'd have tried to make the fake look like the Japanese (or some other) version. I assume that there wasn't some dramatic blunder, like a conspicuous typographical error on the Chinese version. I believe the usual form of such a blunder would be the inadvertent substitution of a character that sounds the same as the one intended but that makes no contextual sense. (That presumes, of course, that the counterfeiters were at least conversant in Chinese, but that seems a reasonable presumption under the circumstances.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Of all the genuine Canon batteries I have seen, all have labeling that is totally different than the fake.

I don't understand why a person, like me, for instance would spend five grand on a camera and then buy cheap knock off batteries?  Even if I had a Rebel T6i kit around a thousand bucks, I wouldn't risk off brand batteries.  Let alone true fakes.  I know some guys get by with them but even then they aren't as good as the real deal. IMHO, of course, as always, before somebody tells me how great they are!

Like the guy that buys a Cadillac de Ville or Lincoln Town Car and complains about poor MPG.

EB

I read through this thread, and it reminded me of a fact of life when it comes to doing business in China.  It may also explain why there are many times Chinese made versions of commercially available products.  Apple products are a prime example.

China would much rather that you manufacture in China, than see you manufacture abroad and import product into the country.  From a business perspective, this makes a lot sense.  If is far less costly to manufacture close to the point of final sale, than it is to ship finished goods a long distance to your customers.  China is pretty far from just about everywhere.

However, like all things in life, nothing good come without a price.  The price you pay is that China takes ownership of the copyright of the products that are produced for the Chinese markets.  In return, they promise not to export the product to rest of the world, which is your share of the market.  Nothing stops them from cheating, as Apple Computer has learned.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
There are some good 3rd party batteries, but, counterfeit ones should be avoided. The manufacturer of counterfeit batteries is already breaking the law just by making them. So they have no incentive to have any quality control.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements