Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

help with live view new camera options...

Hey guys...I have recently bought a hahnel remote shutter release so that I can take pics on the top of a mast around seven metres up.

I have a 5 inch monitor at ground level to view the pictures taken, using an av cable from the camera. Problem is, I cant get a continuous "live view" image on the monitor, as you need to hold down the * button whilst in live view to auto focus, so I have to put up with just the shot thats been taken showing up after each shot instead!

Does anyone know of a canon that would offer a continuous live view image on my monitor, without having to press the * button to auto focus?

Ideally it would be one from the list below, as they are the cameras that my new hahnel wireless remote supports!

I hope someone can help! cheers!

List of supported cameras...would any of these offer live view without the need to press * to autofocus and take a shot:

Compatible Camera Models:

EOS 1200D / 1100D / 1000D / 650D / 600D / 550D /500D / 450D / 400D / 350D / 300D /
70D / 60D / 50D / 40D / 30D / 20D / 20Ds /
10D / 7D / 6D / 5D / 5D Mark II / 5D Mark III
1D / 1DX / 1DC / 1Ds Mark III / 1Ds Mark IV
SX50HS
Powershot G10 / G11 / G12 / G15 / G1X Mk II
Pentax Pentax K-5 II / K-5 IIs / K-5 / K-7 / K10 / K20 / K50 / K100 /
K200 / K500
Samsung GX10 / GX20

Respected Contributor

Re: help with live view new camera options...

What camera are you using?  Most "modern" Canon SLRs allow you to set focus during live view.   You move a little rectangle around to select your focus area.   But you need more than a monitor, you'd either need a computer (like a small netbook) running EOS Utility, or a tablet with DSLR Remote or equivilent on it.  The 70D and 6D both have WiFi ability, so you can do it from a smart phone, tablet, or computer, no wires needed.