cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

havasupai falls

mattfisher5
Contributor

Anyone ever been? I will be going the first week of October, and need to decide what kind of gear to bring. I'll want a wide angle lens for landscape and tripod for astro out in the desert of course, but I'm wondering if it's worth bringing a long telephoto for wildlife? What are the odds I'll see any wildlife at the falls, or Grand Canyon in general? Also, any suggestions for charging camera batteries at a camp site? I have a solar powered charger with a usb that charges my phone, but not sure that would work with anything I can charge camera batteries with. Any tips about camping in general would be appreciated too, as it will be my first time camping.

Thanks,

Matt

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mattfisher5 wrote:

Anyone ever been? I will be going the first week of October, and need to decide what kind of gear to bring. I'll want a wide angle lens for landscape and tripod for astro out in the desert of course, but I'm wondering if it's worth bringing a long telephoto for wildlife? What are the odds I'll see any wildlife at the falls, or Grand Canyon in general? Also, any suggestions for charging camera batteries at a camp site? I have a solar powered charger with a usb that charges my phone, but not sure that would work with anything I can charge camera batteries with. Any tips about camping in general would be appreciated too, as it will be my first time camping.

Thanks,

Matt

What model camera?

How long of a trip?

How much traveling will done on foot?

How much of a budget do you have for a wide angle lens?  A tripod?  A super telephoto lens?

Do you have a camera bag that has a rain cover?  Do you have a lens cleaning kit?

If you are not specifically looking for a particular type of wildlife, then the odds of encountering something that would present a photo opportunity is fairly low.  I say low because if you are not crouchec in the brush with your camera at the ready, then the opportunity will likely come and go before you can pull your camera out and get off a shot.  Of course, you can get lucky, and it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

What is the main purpose of your camping trip?  If it is not photography, then it sounds like you might be carrying more stuff than G.I. Joe.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

We will have 4.5 days of camping basically. It will be about 30 miles total hiking spread out over that time. I'm not really worried about the weight of the gear i'll be carrying because of my conditioning. I'm used to being the group pack mule. I have plenty of lens cleaning supplies and a weather sealed bag for my gear.

I plan on bringing a 5D MIII, and a 24-70 2.8 (original). I have a pretty solid tripod currently, and will likely rent the Sigma 14mm 1.8 for the trip for astro/landscape. So I'm torn on bringing a 100-400mm. I'm an early riser and will likely have an hour to kill each morning before the rest of my group wakes up, so it will most likely be spent crouched down in a bush somewhere hoping to spot some wildlife. But I have not been able to find much online as to what kind of wildlife is actually there near the falls. If all I'm going to see is a couple of crows, then I probably wont bother with the telephoto.

The main purpose of the trip is for vacation with my wife and another couple, however my main objective while I'm there will be to get lots of memorable shots. So while everyone else is swimming in the water under the falls and what  not, I plan on taking pictures.

"So I'm torn on bringing a 100-400mm. I'm an early riser and will likely have an hour to kill each morning before the rest of my group wakes up, so it will most likely be spent crouched down in a bush somewhere hoping to spot some wildlife"

Okay, I understand.  Pack mule, it is.  Bring the 100-400mm lens, because if you know that if don't bring it you're gonna wish you had.  Wildlife get thirsty, so something may come along for a drink of water..  Pay attention to which way the wind is blowing.

Yeah you're right. I'd rather carry it around and never need it then be kicking myself wishing I had it if i spot something. Thanks for the advice!

@mattfisher5 wrote:

Yeah you're right. I'd rather carry it around and never need it then be kicking myself wishing I had it if i spot something. Thanks for the advice!

I just checked out the tourist guide.  Looks like a pretty rocky place in many places.  The scenery should be awesome.  It might be a good idea to have an ND filter handy to tone down the strong sunlight. 

I love to take panorama shots at medium telephoto focal lengths, like 100mm.  Roll the camera to portrait mode.

Yeah, lots of rocky terrain, so the ND filter will definitely come in handy, and let me get some long exposure shots of the falls.

I like that idea, I'll have to try practicing that a few times before I go. Thanks again.

ScottyP
Authority

How will you charge your camera battery?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

mattfisher5
Contributor
I'm really not sure yet, I still have to look into what options are out there. I have 3 batteries, and a solar powered charger that hooks up via USB. So if I can find a battery charger I can hook up to that then I'll use it. I believe there are a few options out there I just haven't done the research on them yet. Once I decide I'll post pack here with what I went with.
Announcements