cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

focus screens...split lens horizontal or double diagonal...recommendations ?

frogpoet
Contributor

which is better... (advice is another lamp at the crossroad) ....I want to get a split lens focus screen for my Canon 600D/T3i.

I shoot both wildlife and arcitecural subjects.

I am debating on which is most likely my best bet... the horozontal single split or the double diagonal split.....?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hsbn
Whiz
If you are not sure, don't buy either. They're mainly designed for manual focusing. If you almost always use auto focus then don't bother. In addition, if you use manual focus on tripod only, then you can use Liveview 10x zoom in for accuracy, no need for custom focusing screen. Also, if you are not careful, you can introduce a lot of dust on your sensor when switching focusing screen. From your posts, seem like you're trying to buy accessories right now. Just make sure to buy only what you need and save $ for better lens.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

hsbn
Whiz
If you are not sure, don't buy either. They're mainly designed for manual focusing. If you almost always use auto focus then don't bother. In addition, if you use manual focus on tripod only, then you can use Liveview 10x zoom in for accuracy, no need for custom focusing screen. Also, if you are not careful, you can introduce a lot of dust on your sensor when switching focusing screen. From your posts, seem like you're trying to buy accessories right now. Just make sure to buy only what you need and save $ for better lens.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I got used to using a split screen back in the good old days of 35mm film. I usually operate manual mode and I do a lot of experimental stuff (which is my main reason for digital shooting now) to get the results I like best, ...so... I eat batteries pretty quick...hence I try to avoid live view except when "snap-shooting"

Thanks for your reply,
Bruce
Announcements