cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converting Raw to Jpeg (jpg) in DPP, resize to get posted on this site

fatcat
Rising Star

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to post a few photos I took this summer.  I have converted them to jpeg 300 in the box (as Cannon moderator told me to) and it's still too big for cannon to accept.  They told me "just make it smaller"  okay, i would love to do that in cannons Digital Photo Professional under the Batch processing.  Okay I did all that and it still will not accept it, converted from raw to jpeg and sent to google cloud storage.  I go to retrieve them, saved in jpeg format, and site says they are still too big.  HELP?  Do I need to dial down the number from 300 to 200?  they said 300  would work but it doesn't.  I just thought you guys could give me some feedback on my progress...lol  but if I can't get a picute up, it wont do any good.  Everyone says to shoot in Raw, but at the moment I dont see the advantage if you can't send them anywhere because they're too big.

Please somebody tell me what I need to do on this big computer to get it right?Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Wow, some really nice pictures this summer by everyone!  thanks, liz

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Use the batch processor to specify an output file file size.  It is found under the file menu.  Highlight one or more file icons, and then select Batch Processing from the file menu.  A new window opens up, and you should see a spot to set the maximum file size.

This site, and many others, requires 5MB, maximum.  I set mine for 4.5MB, so as not to cut it too close.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Use the batch processor to specify an output file file size.  It is found under the file menu.  Highlight one or more file icons, and then select Batch Processing from the file menu.  A new window opens up, and you should see a spot to set the maximum file size. ...

No, alas, that's not something DPP can do. (I wish it were.) What you can do is set the length of the long dimension (in inches, centimeters, or pixels) and the image quality (as a value from 1 to 10, lower values producing smaller images). But then you just have to run the conversion and if it's still too large, tweak the parameters and repeat until the file size is within range.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

so I have to keep saving the same photo until its the right size for this site to accept? seems like a whole lot of redundancy. I dont want 5 copies of the same picture until I get it right. Isn't there a way to put the numbers in the box? Cannon told me this was where I needed to go to convert to jpeg, so where do I go then? Is Correll pro x a good program? not real happy w/ dpp

I wish the faq would tell you what size the image has to be:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

I can't find the info anywhere.  Mods, can we add this to the FAQ?

@fatcat wrote:
so I have to keep saving the same photo until its the right size for this site to accept? seems like a whole lot of redundancy. I dont want 5 copies of the same picture until I get it right. Isn't there a way to put the numbers in the box? Cannon told me this was where I needed to go to convert to jpeg, so where do I go then? Is Correll pro x a good program? not real happy w/ dpp

Just over-write the the ones that come out the wrong size.  Why would you want to save them?

I don't want to save them, but when they go to google, they just stack up till ya get it right on DPP, which has features to be desired. I don't save them, dont want to, just want to get rid of them all! I am so frustrated right now! It's ok, I'll figure it out, I usually do. I have about the equivilent of 5 rolls of film, w about 3 good shots that I would like to show you guys and can't for the moment.

I have also used Paint Dot Net to resize JPEGs.  When you perform a "Save As" command, the software opens up a dialog window that has that same "image quality slider" as show above. 

PaintDotNet_FileSizeScreen.PNG

The window calculates a "preview file size", and gives you the opportunity to change the image quality, 0 - 100%, in 1% increments.

Wadizzle,  is it Paint.net? or paintDotnet?  IT sounds good, is that a pay by month app?  I've seen the basic one thats free, but think I need to invest in a program like that.  DPP seems inadequate.  I did finally get an answer from Cannon, and its a long process in their program to get it re-sized.  Thanks for the info I'' check it out again in more detail.

nevermind I found it, think I'll give it a try thanks

Announcements