cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i do weddings

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello

I need help and advise and I am wondering if my equipment is good enough to do weddings I am unsure to do weddings if I make a mistake but perhaps you can help. I own the following equipment let me know what you think. 7d,600d canon 10-18 4.5-5.6 is. Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 os canon 70-200 2.8 mk1 . canon flash 550ex /sigma 500. 18-55 kit lens . old 24-105 usm canon lens. I do own the 100-400 mk2 but not sure that be any good for weddings and portraits let me know thanks.??????

Before you say it I know full frame is best but I can not afford a 5d III and a 24-70 L I could look at getting a second hand 5d I guess.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You might consider a refurbished 6D from the Canon online store.  Items in stock can vary from week to week.  It all depends upon demand for a given month.  I bought a 6D, and it came with a one year warranty.  I laughed at Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

On second thought, with that set of lenses, perhaps a 7D Mark II might be better than a 6D.  Although, after comparing the images from the 6D with a T5, the difference in image quality is amazing, and a full-frame is definitely the way to go if you want to do professional photography, or make poster sized prints.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, as far as equipment goes, that can only take you so far, which really ain't far at all.  Capturing the essence of a person on film, or in a photo, requires a unique talent.  Not the least among them, is getting to know the subjects that you are photographing deeply enough so that you are entirely comfortable around them, and them around you. 

Once you reach the point where you and the subjects are comfortable with one another, then consider yourself as having made it to the starting line.  Weddings are intimate moments for the couples.  It helps to get to know their interests. It helps to be around the couple when they are in different moods, so that you learn what their best features are, what their mannerisms are, etc.all so that you can capture that on film. 

It helps to take test/rehearsal shots over the course of a couple of sessions before the big day.  Please, do not have the mindset that you're going to take some photos of the Super Bowl.  You don't want to go out there, shoot up a few hundred shots, and wind up with photos that look like a couple of strangers, instead of the wedding couple.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do mean professionally or as a favor for a friend?

Stakes are *very* high for weddings. Preparation and results are much more important than your equipment.

Canon DLC has just started a good series:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/liza-gershman-wedding-landingpage.shtml?categ...

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... not sure that be any good for weddings and portraits let me know thanks.??????"

I have seen people shoot weddings with an iPad or iPhone.  You certainly have them beat.  Don't you think?

FF vs Crop for a wedding is mostly --.  Don't believe any of that _ _ _ p.   It doesn't make a smidgen of difference as long as you do a good job.  You do need a good post editor as that is where you make the photo.

I used to sit my 7D and 100-400 on a tripod at the back of the church.  It is wonderful to catch all the action at the alter.  Plus you don't disturb anything or anyone.

If you have a helper give the Rebel and a kit lens to them. Have them do candid shots of the guests.  You use your 7D with the 24-105 for most of the job.  Use it with the 100-400 on a tripod when the ceremony at the alter starts.

Forget the flashes.  Too little time to learn how to use them effectively.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A couple tips.

You need to go to the rehearsal.  Make some test shots. Check out the lighting you will have to work with.  At the wedding shoot RAW around 1500 to 2000 shots.  Use your post editor to narrow it down to 100 or so.  Pick only the best.  Show only the best.  If you think you need it shoot it.  You  can delete later if not needed.

People like the candids if you can get that second shooter to help you.  Otherwise you are going to be a busy guy!  They don't have to be great just framed nicely.  Shooting a wedding is a lot of work that only starts with the ceremony.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements