cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto focus and why don't people manually focus.

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello Guys and gals

I wanted to talk about photography in general here as I watch alot of youtube reviews and get very anoyed at people reviewing lenses such as the sigma 150-600 complaining that it is not sharp. I am sorry to say this but when I look at their images they seem to be ignoring the rest of the photo as I can clearly see that the image is sharp.

In many instances I can see the branch near to the bird their trying to photograph is sharp to my eye any way. It seems to be auto focus is a fine bit of technology but it will never be able to do the job better than the human eye can. I wonder why people never use manual focus more often. When I went to college I learned every thing regarding manual focus processing film and the like it seems to me auto focus has made people lazy.

Come on people use manual focus more often. A true photorapher does not need auto focus to get the image he needs. It seems to me a skill that photographers have forgotten. It takes time to practise many times when the auto focus started hunting because it got confused i would use manual control and get the image messing about using auto focus can make you miss the shot your after.

I remember my first SLR in the film days and loved the eye detection focus as I was the one chosing which part was in focus just by looking at it I really miss that meathod of focusing. Take care Paul.

26 REPLIES 26

Bad eyes, you and me both. 

Read your camera's manual, and learn to use the various focus points and focusing modes.  I have found that I get more "keepers" with moving targets when I use all of the focus points, instead of just the center, with the camera in AI-Focus mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I don't remember where I read it but AI Servo is recommended over AI Focus on those cameras which offer both but so far none of the 1 series bodies I own even have AI Focus which is a hint that info was right.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

"I don't remember where I read it but AI Servo is recommended over AI Focus on those cameras which offer both but so far none of the 1 series bodies I own even have AI Focus which is a hint that info was right." 

You're probably right.  I always get them mixed up.  I want the mode that switches to tracking if the subject moves, and gives a focus lock confirmation.

Embarrassed to admit it, but I always have to break out my manual on that issue when I'm going to shoot a sporting event.
Sailor-retired USN. former 5D Mk II user - recently graduated to the R6

@FBurr wrote:
Embarrassed to admit it, but I always have to break out my manual on that issue when I'm going to shoot a sporting event.

I know out of my three settings in the camera, I want either "One Shot", or the "One In The Middle", which I have just checked is called "AI Servo".  Hmm.  Hmmmmm.

The difference between AI-servo and AI-focus is AI-focus doesn't work.  AI-servo does.  AI-focus is supposed to focus and refocus when the subject moves and is supposed to give confirmation when it does.

My preference for most shooting is One-shot with the center focus point only.  My 2nd choice for moving subjects is AI-servo with just the center focus point.  IMHO, of coures as always and worth every cent you spent on receiving it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

In other words, you do manually what AI-Servo is supposed to do Automagically..

Announcements