cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why all these spam posts about movies?

ScottyP
Authority
What is with all the SPAM postings about movies? They appear overnight every morning. Obviously I don't open them. do we know if they are viruses, or pfishing traps or are they just spam ads?

Their titles always start with "Watch". Could the mods filter out all posts that start with "watch"? I don't open them up but it is still pretty annoying when in the morning 1/2 the new posts are one of these scams.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
13 REPLIES 13

cicopo
Elite

I have to say this is the ONLY site I frequent with this kind of problem & Canon needs to deal with it. I'd bet that following the links will lead to problems later . They're either after your personal info or a back door into your computer.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Stephen

ScottyP and cicopo, thank you for posting your concerns.  We're working on combatting these irksome spammers and have plans to implement more methods to stop them.

Thank you for your contributions and we appreciate your patience while we work to make the forum a better place for us all!

ScottyP
Authority
Glad you guys are on it. Weird that they seem to think camera and printer people might be lured in by pirate dvd's or pay per view boxing.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

What always gets me thinking when they post here is 'They expect me to give them my credit card info to buy something that can be considered an illegal activity, pirated property, or fake ID etc" and I'm supposed to think they have my interests in mind & are doing me a favor. "I'm dishonest but you can trust me with your credit card info". WELL I DON'T THINK SO!

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

It is getting so bad you can't use the site. I check in the early morning to see if there are new posts to read, but all the New Posts except 1 were those spam things. I really don't want to have to open every section on the website (EOS, EOS REBEL, Lenses, General Discussion, etc., etc.,) one at a time to see if there are any new posts, but those spammers make you do that. I have less time to visit the site than I used to and this just makes it that much harder.
Scott

On the lower-left corner of each post there's a link to "Report Inappropriate Content".

I can tell you that having been a moderator elsewhere that we always appreciated it when users did that.  Basically the moderators will stumble onto these things as they go through post-by-post reviewing things.  -OR- if you do the "report" feature, they get a special notice that someone has tagged a message and it takes them right to it... hence much faster removal of that content.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Trust me when I say I've reported so many using the link I wouldn't be able to even guess how many, plus I've let them know they had to clean up other sections besides the one I'm reporting.

They use different emails every time so blocking them would be hard without some kind of content filter. I think OSS jeks are actually reading the site because hey are starting to vary the titles. Last one was "hurry I'm going to watch he hobbit...".

Again this morning ALL the new posts were that spammer. I may quit coming to this site in the mornings.
Scott

ClayStevens
Contributor

It is not a hard job to deal with this condition, but it is obvious that canon take very few focus on this forum.

Announcements