cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which camera to get

blkeck007
Apprentice

I bought my wife a Powershot SX510 HS awhile back and I would like to upgrade her to a better camera as she is getting better with her photography. I am thinking about getting the EOS Rebel T6i or T6s. I would like to hear feedback on this.

She really loves the Wifi built in the camera.

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

I've never owned a Rebel series body but here's a thread by a VERY serious bird photographer who has just about every body or L series lens Canon produces & knows how to use them. He's been testing a T6s lately.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1364487/0

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am thinking about getting the EOS Rebel T6i or T6s"

Right off the sensor size is worth the upgrade, if she does any amout of cropping.  Next you are going to enter into the world of Canon EF or EF-S lenses.  Warning, this will just be the beginning if she is truly interested.  The accessories are limitless.

When I had a business going I had five Rebels and they worked great.  Personally I would get her the T6i.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thanks for the feedback!

Being a photo buff for a long time and a "point and shoot" photographer since the digital age dawned I finally step up to a DSLR.  I bought a T6i and all I can say is WOW!  What a difference it makes.  I recommed it highly for an introduction into the DSLR world.  I bought the T6i because it's the latest and greatest with WiFi capabilities.  If WiFi is not a priority (and a smaller sensor and last generation image processing chip) the the T5 would be a good choice and a little cheaper.

Advantages of the Canon T6i vs. T5i

T6i on the left.

Better color depth
22.7 bits vs 21.7 bits
Distinguishes 1 more bits of color

Dynamic range
More dynamic range
12 EV vs 11.2 EV
1.6 f-stops more dynamic range

Low light performance
Lower noise at high ISO
919 ISO vs 681 ISO
The T6i has a slight edge (0.4 f-stops) in low-noise, high-ISO performance

Overall image quality
Better image quality
71.0 vs 61.0
Around 20% better image quality

True resolution
Significantly higher true resolution
24 MP vs 17.9 MP
Capture more than 30% more detail in your photos

Cross type focus points
Significantly more cross-type focus points
19 vs 9
Grab focus in difficult situations

Light sensitivity
Better maximum light sensitivity
25,600 ISO vs 12,800 ISO
The T6i's maximum light sensitivity is 2 f-stops better

Focus points
More focus points
19 vs 9
Set focus accurately within the frame

Thickness
Slightly thinner
3.1" vs 3.1"
Almost the same

Weight
Slightly lighter
555 g vs 580 g
Almost the same

Advantages of the Canon T5i vs. T6i

T5i on the left

Viewfinder size
Larger viewfinder
0.53x vs 0.51x
Around 10% larger viewfinder

Lowest price
Significantly cheaper
$471.00 vs $749.00

Thanks for the pro and cons, the T6i sounds real good, I know she loves the WiFi.

Thanks again!

@theandies wrote:

Being a photo buff for a long time and a "point and shoot" photographer since the digital age dawned I finally step up to a DSLR.  I bought a T6i and all I can say is WOW!  What a difference it makes.  I recommed it highly for an introduction into the DSLR world.  I bought the T6i because it's the latest and greatest with WiFi capabilities.  If WiFi is not a priority (and a smaller sensor and last generation image processing chip) the the T5 would be a good choice and a little cheaper. ...

I don't think you're right about the sensor size. The T6i has more pixels, and therefore higher resolution, but I think the sensors are the same size on the two cameras. There are both good and bad aspects to cramming more pixels onto a sensor of a given size.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes all Rebels have the same size sensor, APS-C.  But they have differing  pixel count.

The Rebel T6i and T6s have slightly higher density sensors than even the new 5Ds  (3.7µm vs. 4.14µm), but the density difference is not big and a camera is a sum of its parts.  Not a single spec.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You're right Bob.  I ment pixle count not actual sensor size.  My bad.

Announcements