cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which body?

inkjunkie
Enthusiast

I know this is a VERY loaded question. And has probably been asked hundreds of times. I take pictures at the local dragstrip. Some landscape pictures. And lots of pictures of our dogs. Do 0 printing, only share them to Facebook. Was using an EOS40D. Been wanting a new camera so I bought the EOS7Ti. Really like the camera. Started shooting video with it. 

But.....I want to get a full frame camera...any suggestions? Been looking at the refurbished Canon page...

26 REPLIES 26

@ScottyP wrote:

Look at DXO Mark. While their "overall rating" is subjective and opaque, their ratings on low light appear to be based on some objective criterion. 

Those numbers are totally meaningless to me.  There is nothing on their web site to explain what they are.  Not even the  article titled "DxOMark camera sensor testing protocol and scores" offers a hint at what the numbers mean.

All I see are a number in a box, and a number in a circle.  Pretty.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Lenses...this was going to be my next question. 

Want to finish reading the remaining responses to this thread...and my other..before asking some questions. 

Would like to thank all of those who have responded. IMG_20171004_133938_773.jpg

@inkjunkie wrote:

This is a bit difficult for me to explain. I have seen photos from various different folks that were taken on full size cameras.  I realize that these photos were more than likely shot in raw and massaged some in an aftershocks program. But this pictures were very eye catching. The focused image was very sharp...with noticeably more detail than what I take. 

I realize that I need to learn how to take better photos before I can utilize a better body. 

After posting this last night I realized that I need tof not be so hooked on a full frame. That I need to get better lenses and learn how to use them..and the body correctly. But it doesn't change the fact I would like to get a full size body. 

Long and short term objectives...this sounds like a bit of a cop out but I just want to become a better photographer. The owner of the track has given me permission to be trackside next year. In exchange he is expecting me to provide him with some eye grabbing stills and video. 

I am one of those folks that sets his goals a bit higher than they should be. I have severe Cervical and Lumbar Spinal stenosis...so often times achieving my goals has become **bleep** near impossible...of late I have repeatedly let myself down...I don't want this to be another one of "those times". 

I hope this answered your question...if not please just say so...I will put some more thought into this...

I hear you. Your solution as far as equipment goes will either be better lenses or better lenses plus a full frame body. There is no possible way the answer is just a full frame body since your current crop lenses won't work on full frame, and because glass just makes a bigger difference than bodies anyway.  I promise if you get a 70-200 f/2.8 IS II and you shoot it at large apertures (f/2.8 or so) you will see your subject will pop out from the background and the image will be sharp and contrasts compared to any kit lens you had. You will notice a difference. 

If you are shooting in decent light the crop and the full frame will give pretty indistinguishable results in most scenarios, and in many cases the superior autofocus of your T7i may best the simpler 6d. The lenses are another story. Start with a good EF L lens or two. You'll need it anyway if/when you go full frame.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Remember what the OP said:

"Do 0 printing, only share them to Facebook"

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Remember what the OP said:

"Do 0 printing, only share them to Facebook"

Which is arguably inconsistent with his subsequent assertion that the track manager will be counting on him for "eye grabbing stills and video". Reading an OP's mind is often difficult, and it certainly seems to be so in this case.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

One important note to remember is that "full frame" camera bodies cannot use "EF-S" lenses.  Your T7i likely came with at least one EF-S lens and you may have more.  That would meant that upgrading your system could involve not just the body purchase, but also at least one lens purchase.  The upside is that once you've upgraded, those lenses work on all EOS cameras and Canon's best glass is made for these full-frame cameras.

Canon's Rebel series bodies previously had a very simple focusing system (9 AF points ... a center point and 8 addtional points arranged in a diamond pattern).  Meanwhile their pro cameras had advanced focus systems.  

Those advanced focus systems finally made their way down into the Rebel line and the T7i has a focus system that's somewhat similar to what a 7D had a few years ago (not quite the same, but similar).  

So while the "Rebel" series are generally priced and meant to be consumer-friendly entry-priced cameras... the T7i is the most significant upgrade to any Rebel series body in many years.  Most previous new cameras offered incremental improvements over the prior model... the T7i offered quite significant improvements over previous models.  It finally hits a point where it's blurring the line between the entry level bodies vs. the mid-range bodies.  It does this so well... that it's sibling, the 77D (which has identical sensor and specs... but adds an extra control dial and an extra LCD screen for easier use) actually is classified as a mid-range body.  The T7i is no slouch.

The 6D, meanwhile, still has a focus system which more resembles the system in previous rebel models except it has 11 AF points (it looks a lot like the 9 point system except they added an extra focus point just left & right of the center point.)  Also the 6D's continuous burst speed is about 4.5 frames per second.  The 6D was introduced as an "entry level" full-frame body.  Previous full-frame bodies were always about $2500 and up.  This was the first full-frame body in the industry that was introduced at a price point less than $2k.

The 6D is not optimized for action photography.   It is, however, very good at low light situations.

The 5D III has a very advanced focus system that can better handle action photography.  It doesn't have the blazinglly fast continuous burst speeds of the 1D X bodies (up to 16 fps for the 1D X Mk II with a buffer large enough to hold 170 RAW files) or even the 7D bodies (10 frames per sec for the 7D Mk II with a buffer large enough to hold 31 RAW files).   The 5D III is about 6 frames per second (the 5D IV is 7 fps).

Your T7i is also rated for about 6 frames per second.

You may find that your T7i is a bit better at the track shooting action photography...

But you will also likely find that a 6D would be better at portraits, landscape, and low-light.

The 5D III would pull ahead as it has a better focus system than the T7i, a bigger buffer, and the same 6 FPS burst speed (it's harder to get a fast burst speed when the mirror and shutter are physically larger).  Basically it would be an upgrade all the way around... but will cost a bit more than the 6D.

A refurb 6D on the Canon online store is about $1200

A refurb 5D III on the Canon online store is about $2100

(note these are in the "refurbished" section.  A "new" copy will cost more.)

...and of course these prices don't include lenses (in case you have to upgrade a few of those).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Stills and video can be posted to FB.

I’m not sure that’s inconsistent if the track manager wants to boost his social media presence. If a business is on FB it’s all about “likes”.

But I do agree the more clear the question the better the answer.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements