cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find out if my older Vivitar Lenses will fit my CanonT3i

Lori1437
Apprentice

Where can I find out if my old Vivitar lenses will fit my Canon T3i and what adapters I will need?  Also I have lenses that worked with my Pentax 1000 K  is there anyway I can convert those lenses to my new camera? a long shot but a try

2 REPLIES 2

cicopo
Elite

Generally speaking lenses that had Auto Focus built in were made to fit Canon bodies using the same mount still used, however they still may not be up to the task because todays sensors need better quality lenses to produce nice sharp images. Back when you shot film you rarely enlarged to the sizes you'll be looking at on a computer monitor so you didn't need a lens of a quality lever you'll need now. Re adapters they likely exist BUT you'll give up all the auto functions the camera includes such as AF (no focussing aid to help either) and allowing the camera to choose & set the f stop. Some older lenses which had AF built in may also need internal mods (re chipping) to work properly. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I have a T4I and a number of FD mount manual lenses from a Canon A1 & AE1.  I found an adapter on Ebay that allows me to mount the lenses on the T4I.  You need to watch what you buy, some adapters have an extra lense in them while others don't.  Most of the ones I looked at, the extra lense allowed you to focus to infinity while those without it wouldn't but could focus closer. 

There are all kinds of adapters out there that allow mounting almost any lens to any body, so there's a good chance you can find something for whatever brand and mount lens you have.

I have to manually focus the lens and stop it down manually for the picture.  I also find it hard to focus using the viewfinder, live view works better for me.

It's not a perfect solution but it allows me to use those lenses for now till I can afford to get AF ones.

My 2 cents

Announcements