cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are my raw images???

longboredterrie
Apprentice

Step by step how do I process raw images ?

2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority

Hi, Longboredterrie,

What software are you using, and what camera (how old)?  Your subject line ("Where are my RAW images") sounds like you are not able to access them at all.  Are you able to import the files into your program and manipulate them?  I had trouble getting Lightroom to import RAW files at first, but you just adjust the import settings and it's no problem.

As for manipulating them, Canon gives you software to use, though I have never used it.  If you have Lightroom 4 by chance, I could give you some basic steps that would apply to most shots.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I'll assume that if the camera can shoot RAW it also came with software to edit them and if it's a Canon camera that program is DPP (Digital Photo Professional) but you may have one of many non Canon programs available installed too. Considering just how many different programs exist, & how many books have been written explaining how to use them along with countless YouTube videos & on line courses you could pay to take I'll tell you my way. PLEASE NOTE I'm dead serious about what I'm going to say even though it may look a bit oversimplified. A RAW image is just a computer file & you CAN'T modify it: you either delete it or use it to create a photo in one of a few formats and the most common one is the jpg. When you create that jpg the RAW file isn't modified and remains exactly the same & ready for a new & different edit for as many times as you want to play with it to create different results for new images.

OPEN the editing program.

SELECT & OPEN the RAW file you want to use for your photo(which should be a .cr2). I suggest one that you can remember taking & where you think you can remember how bright the scene was & just how each colour looked.

ENLARGE to about 50% so that you can see the minute changes as they are applied.

LOOK at all the different things in the tool section to see which names you recognize & start with them & then move onto ALL of the others one at a time. Start with something like exposure or brightness, maybe contrast etc & slowly move the slider to see what happens, & then set it to what looks best to you. Do the same for all of them, and if there are other pages of similar sliders do it there too. REMEMBER, the changes that you see will only be applied IF you create & save them into a new image file & the RAW file hasn't been touched by those changes.

SAVE the new file as a jpg or tif etc & then open it to see how you've done.

DO it all again until you can look at an image & know what fine tuning would improve it.

It's a trial & error kind of thing but it's relatively easy to make many improvements in the first hour of experimenting & as you experiment keep track of your changes. I do that by saving the file with extensions like V1 for version 1, then after a few new tweeks I'll save as V2, & maybe V3, V4 etc. (IMG 1123V1.jpg etc)

Once you get good at it you can usually save your changes into a "recepie" that can be applied to other images or even batches of images.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements