Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-03-2020

What should I upgrade to?

I currently have a T2i and am looking to upgrade, whether that be in lens or in camera body.

 

I really only take photos as a hobby, but I care enough to want my photos to look as professional as possible. However, I've had problems with getting sharp landscape photos... particularly of trees in the distance and clouds on the horizon.

 

I purchased a Canon EFS 15-85mm with Image Stabilizer a little over a year ago based on online reviews, thinking it would be an upgrade from the broken Tamron 17-50mm I had before. I do like that the Canon lens has a wider range, but I just don't like how my photos are turning out. The Tamron took sharp photos, so I'm considering going back to that and upgrading to the verison that has VC.

 

All that said, I'm also wondering if it's time I save up for a new camera body, but I have no idea what would be the best camera to aim for. Would the latest Rebel or version of the Rebel really be any better than my T2i? Or is there a better camera out there that would be a step up without breaking the bank?

 

Thank you in advance for any camera or lens recommendations!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 2,869
Registered: ‎11-19-2017

Re: What should I upgrade to?

[ Edited ]

The T2i was released in 2010.  (Now my famous last words) ..  Its not classic or vintage.  Is it time for  new camera...  yes.

 

You need to provide your budget, otherwise we can't make a meaningful recommendation. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,558
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: What should I upgrade to?


@shadowsports wrote:

The T2i was released in 2010.  (Now my famous last words) ..  Its not classic or vintage.  Is it time for  new camera...  yes.

 

You need to provide your budget, otherwise we can't make a meaningful recommendation. 


I agree with Rick, but I will say this: For its time and at its price, the T2i was one of the best cameras Canon ever made. I've passed along a 7D and a 50D to my daughter and grandchildren; but my wife won't let go of her T2i, even though her current camera is a 7D2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
VIP
Posts: 11,116
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: What should I upgrade to?


@RobertTheFat wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

The T2i was released in 2010.  (Now my famous last words) ..  Its not classic or vintage.  Is it time for  new camera...  yes.

 

You need to provide your budget, otherwise we can't make a meaningful recommendation. 


I agree with Rick, but I will say this: For its time and at its price, the T2i was one of the best cameras Canon ever made. I've passed along a 7D and a 50D to my daughter and grandchildren; but my wife won't let go of her T2i, even though her current camera is a 7D2.


I do not own a T2i, and have never used one.  Specs say that they are built like tanks.  Smart wife!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
VIP
Posts: 11,116
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: What should I upgrade to?


@Hwheeler wrote:

I currently have a T2i and am looking to upgrade, whether that be in lens or in camera body.

 

I really only take photos as a hobby, but I care enough to want my photos to look as professional as possible. However, I've had problems with getting sharp landscape photos... particularly of trees in the distance and clouds on the horizon.

 

 

Thank you in advance for any camera or lens recommendations!


Sounds like you are pixel peeping items in the distance.  Distant objects will never look sharp as long as you take them with a wide angle lens.  There is just simply not enough resolution on the sensor, or resolving power in the lens, to capture the details.

 

I like to capture landscape panoramic shots using my full frame 6D and my 70-200mm lens.  I roll the lens to portrait mode. I used a 20MP camera to create a 38MP image.  The file has been modified to fit into forum image upload guidelines.

 

ED7900BE-B0E1-4C18-A717-2AAE9C93105A.jpeg

 

I make the individual frames overlap by one third as I capture them, which give the stitching software the most efficient amount of image to work with.  I use Adobe LR.  Canon has Photostitch, but it runs into maximum final file size limits.

 

BF5506E3-1439-403D-8818-1AF90127AD2D.jpeg

 

 

Here is a shot of the rig that I like to use.  I like using the 70-200 because the tripod foot allows me to roll the camera to portrait mode, while keeping the image sensor aligned with the center of rotation of the tripod head.

 

All of this is just food for thought.  I think upgrading to a camera body that is more friendly with current laptop technology is a good idea.  The only question that you need to answer is what type of camera do you want.  Do you want to continue with an APS-C sensor body, and remain compatible with your current lens kit?  Or, do you want to move to full frame sensor body, which can capture wider field of views?

 

I chose the latter route, and I am glad that I made that choice.  The EOS RP seems like a camera designed to be the upgrade path for APS-C users into the full frame world.  All you need is the EF/EF-S mount adapter.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,558
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: What should I upgrade to?

Very nice picture of the bridge. What was your vantage point, if you don't mind my asking? I guess it has to be on the east side, which probably means it's nearly impossible to get to.

 

Is all that stuff in the foreground part of the first new span? My understanding was that they had to tear down the old span, which is still clearly visible, before they'd have room to build the second new span.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
VIP
Posts: 13,554
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: What should I upgrade to?

"I currently have a T2i and am looking to upgrade, whether that be in lens or in camera body."

 

Well logic would dictate upgrading the lens first.  If the lens doesn't help than go for a better body. If your T2i is working properly another reason to go with a better lens first. IMHO, you have not selected the best of lenses. Give the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens a check out. There isn't many lenses with better IQ than the Siggy but in theory primes tend to be sharper than zooms. The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens and Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens are said to be the sharpest lenses on the planet!  One of them might be a choice. Get a new lens first.

 

IMHO, a new Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 would not be on my list of choices. Other great choice are;

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens 

Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Lens

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens

Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
VIP
Posts: 11,116
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: What should I upgrade to?


@RobertTheFat wrote:

Very nice picture of the bridge. What was your vantage point, if you don't mind my asking? I guess it has to be on the east side, which probably means it's nearly impossible to get to.

 

Is all that stuff in the foreground part of the first new span? My understanding was that they had to tear down the old span, which is still clearly visible, before they'd have room to build the second new span.


Pierson Park, Tarrytown, NY.  It is quite accessible, as is a boat ramp about a half mile to the left of this vantage point.  Yes, it is on the east side of the Hudson.  Sleepy Hollow is a few hundred yards to my right.  There is a river walk that goes for about a mile.

 

The span closest to the camera had just opened earlier that day.  The entire old span did not need to be torn down to finish the span closest to it.  All they really needed to do was to remove a couple hundred yards at either end of it, where it landed on shore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement