cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between a refurbished and a new camera?

SudeepCK
Apprentice

What is the difference between a refurbished and a new camera? I am looking for SX260HS model.

6 REPLIES 6

Jchafitz
Enthusiast

Refurbished means many things.  Returned, repaired & repackaged for one.  Demo or display unit.  Warranty may be shorter, but if you're buying a name brand product from a reliable retailer, you will save a bundle. I have bought refurbished many times with no problems.  Many of the 'deal a day' website deal in refurbished.  Take a shot.

Are these refurbished cameras covered under international warranty?

That's where you need to read the fine print in the offer.  I imagine it differs site to site.

JoeN
Contributor

Like previously stated, refurbished can mean many things.  Someone may buy a camera and when they get it have buyers remorse and return it unused, but, once Canon gets it back they have to completely check it out to make sure it meets specs and then they sell it as refurbished.  You might get a camera with 0 shutter actuations but you might get one with 1000 or more shutter actuations.  Either way Canon completely rechecks each camera before they sell it.  I have bought 2 refurbished DSLRs from Canon and they have both been great cameras.  You couldn't tell if they had ever been used or not.  Recently Canon started offering a 1 year warranty on refurbished DSLRs but I am not sure if that applies to other models or not.

Joe

this is my point of view: refurbished is a little bit of a lottery - you might get lucky and buy one as good as brand new but you can never be sure

while you can buy a new camera for the price of the refurbished ones at some places online - and that is surely brand new

about shipment and guarantee you have to check the small print before buying 🙂

If you buy from Canon then the refurbished equipment comes with a 1 year warranty.  Also, unlike new components, which are usually lot released (meaning only a sample of them are fully inspected), a refurbished part will be fully inspected to make sure everything is to specification.

Also, with solid state electronics, usually any issues with them are apparent long before a year.  Usually they either work or they don't straight out of the box.

I have absolutely zero issue with buying refurbished lenses, and only very mild consideration of refurbished cameras.  If the money I was saving was worth it, then I wouldn't hesitate.  That said, if it's a cheaper item and I'm only saving $40 or so, I'll probably just buy it new.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements