cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Happened to image.canon?

Davoud
Enthusiast

I was so looking forward to using this service—especially the Lightroom connection—with my new R5. "SORRY, SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE"

And what happened to the iOS/iPadOS app? It was pulled from the App Store today by Canon.

Thanks!

Davoud aka David 

7 REPLIES 7

Davoud
Enthusiast

This just in from Canon UK and Ireland on Twitter: "http://image.canon is currently down for maintenance and the team will get it back online as soon as they can, whilst the team haven't confirmed it, it's likely the apps have been removed whilst this is going on as the app won't function."

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/canon-hit-by-maze-ransomware-attack-10tb-data-alleged...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/canon-hit-by-maze-ransomware-attack-10tb-data-alleged...

Anybody still think it's a good idea to keep their data files in the cloud?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, I still think that. Like you and everyone else who doesn't live in a cave, my Social Security, banking, credit, real estate, medical, tax, and virtually every other official record concerning me, are all on Internet-connected  servers—the so-called "Cloud." There is nothing we can do about that. It works pretty well, mostly, though the Chinese Ministry of State Security is in possession of the records of my 32-year career in government after breaching the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) servers a few years ago. Any suggestions on what I can do about that?

As for personal files (I don't mean private information like financial records), yes, I still think it's a good idea to keep some of them on remote storage. But not the only copy; I have encrypted disks for sensitive stuff, ordinary disk storage for non-sensitive stuff.

I reiterate that image.canon is not a data backup service. It's a temporary storage location for photos and videos. I am using it with my new R5, and, while it has some rough edges, it seems to work pretty well. Photos uploaded from my camera got to Lightroom Classic on my Mac, and are automatically backed up to two external drives.

Canon's problem with image.canon was unfortunate, but I have to believe that nobody lost their photos. Surely they were uploaded to a computer from the camera card(s) and backed up. It has always been the case that people who trust their data to a single failure point are at risk of losing their data. Canon does not have a great record with consumer software, and as we have now learned in the current ransomware attack, doesn't seem to be doing very well in maintaining its own data, either. Like any careless person or business, they had to learn the hard way.

@Davoud wrote:

Canon's problem with image.canon was unfortunate, but I have to believe that nobody lost their photos. 

From Canon: 

Important Notice

Thank you for using image.canon.

On the 30th of July, we identified an issue within the 10GB long term storage on image.canon. Some of the original photo and video data files have been lost. We have confirmed that the still image thumbnails of the affected files have not been affected.

In order to conduct further review, we have temporarily suspended both the mobile app and web browser service of image.canon.

Information regarding the resumption of service and contact information for customer support will be made available soon.

There has been no leak of image data.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

In quoting me you distorted my meaning through omission. I know that the photos on Canon's servers were lost. But I also wrote Surely they were uploaded to a computer from the camera card(s) and backed up. It has always been the case that people who trust their data to a single failure point are at risk of losing their data.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Two separate incidents.  One has nothing to do with the other.  If you think about it, 10 TB is not really a whole of photos.  but, it is a lot of customer info.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements