cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What DSLR camera and lenses should I buy???

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
so I'm a beginner at astrophotography and I want to know what camera below 500$$$ should I buy and what lenses should I get . I currently own a telescope and a low quality camera for telescope and I want to expand my knowledge and beauty of the universe.

So if yall can give me some options that would be great
24 REPLIES 24

"One last question can this camera take planetary images??"

If you mean the rings of Saturn, than no.  But that is the lens not the camera. I had use of the 30" telescope at the Louisburg (now Powell) Observatory. Impressive!

"Well i guess t7i should do the work for now"

If you can swing it, I still would prefer you get it (T7i) over the T7. I am going to assume you will put the T7i to more use than just night sky.  The T7i has more useful features for that.  As for the tripod thing, here is another point, I made earlier, you don't know what you need. Go slowly.  At this point the best option is a "good" steady photographic tripod. It does not have to be very expensive to do WA night sky stuff.  Almost no photographic tripod will work as a real dedicated astrophotography tripod.

We have a fantastic astro guy on the web site.  If he sees this, he can help you a great deal. His name is Tim Campbell.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"One last question can this camera take planetary images??"

If you mean the rings of Saturn, than no.  But that is the lens not the camera. I had use of the 30" telescope at the Louisburg (now Powell) Observatory. Impressive! ...

You bring back memories, Ernie. I first saw the rings of Saturn through the 15" refractor at the University of Mississippi, when my mother was getting her Master's Degree there. That was almost 70 years ago.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
can you give me the link to their website to check their prices

@ShockinGoku327 wrote:
can you give me the link to their website to check their prices

I recommend that you visit the B&H Photo Video web site for the Rokinon lens, and a memory card.  Sorry, but I cannot post link to the lens or the memory card.

They sell tripods, too.  Beware of the tripod kits for under $200, not unless it one that is on sale that normally costs over $200.  Avoid the inexpensive travel tripods, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
This is useful information thanks
So the discounts start on fathers day or are happening now??

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
Alright thanks for the help

Do you know when they would be more offers and discounts???

@ShockinGoku327 wrote:
Alright thanks for the help

Do you know when they would be more offers and discounts???

The discounts are available now.  One or more items are likely to sell out before Father's Day.  If you see an item that you like, then I suggest that you may not want to wait.  The most attractive always sell out first, of course. 

There is no predicting what item will go on sale next.  We can only make educated guess as to when stuff will go on sale, base on when past sales have been offered.  Canon typically offers a sale in June with a graduation theme, but this year it seems to be a Father's Day theme.

BTW, the T7i is a better camera than the T7, and I would have recommended it, if not for your budget.  It is currently on sale for under $500.  This item is likely to be one of the first to sell out at any moment.

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
Oh is it can you link me to it because I tried looking for it I cant find it

@ShockinGoku327 wrote:

You need to learn to use Google. Canon won't let us post, in this forum. links to most non-Canon sites.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@ShockinGoku327 wrote:

As I expected, nearly all of the Father's Day deals on the more recent camera models are sold out.  There are still some good deals on the more costly 80DD, which is an excellent, lotsa bang for the buck, camera body.

The only remaining camera models currently on sale for under $500 are models that are at least 5 years old.  I hope you were able to take advantage of these sales.  These types of deep discounts only happen once or twice per year.  How often seems to depend, of course, on available stock.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements