cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What DSLR camera and lenses should I buy???

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
so I'm a beginner at astrophotography and I want to know what camera below 500$$$ should I buy and what lenses should I get . I currently own a telescope and a low quality camera for telescope and I want to expand my knowledge and beauty of the universe.

So if yall can give me some options that would be great
24 REPLIES 24

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You did not say what type of camera you currently own.  It might be enough.  Astrophotography can be an expensive hobby.  If you do not have a quality tracking mount for your telescope, I think that is probably more important than a camera upgrade.  

You will also want to have image stacking software, too.  There are some quality applications that are free.  I suggest that you start small with wide angle photos of the night sky, and work your way up to long exposures using your telescope.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
Well its a camera for planetary view it can't get the colors for stars or nebulas.

I got the stacking software aswell but yeah I want a wide field camera so I can build myself up, so you got any ideas you could share???

I doubt $500 will cover it.  But if I were starting from square one today and wanted to do sky photos, I would buy the best Rebel (with no lens) I could afford and the Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 Lens. However, that comes in around $750.  If you don't get at least adequate gear, you will not like it and get frustrated quickly.  Plus the Rebel also makes a great general purpose camera so it will get used a lot more.

BTW, you need Photoshop, not an option.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
Oh I got photoshop and I only meant the price of the camera only , imma buy the other gear aswell like a electronic tripod and wide field lenses. Do you think a Canon t7 would be ok???

" Do you think a Canon t7 would be ok???"

Probably but I would prefer you get the T7i or the new T8i.  I have a friend, Tom Martinez, that has many photos published in astro magazines that used a T2i for years. I used an XTi for years, too. Another word of advice, go slowly.  Find out just what you need and don't go buy a bunch of stuff until then.  Otherwise you will buy twice or buy stuff you don't want or need.

The Rebel and the Rok will get you going!  ...and Photoshop. Smiley Happy

EB

I have never owned one of the crippled Rebels, T6, T7 or I guess a T8 so I don't know just how crippled they are.

I had several of them in my DSLR 101 class and they seemed to work well for general photo use.

EB

@ShockinGoku327 wrote:
Oh I got photoshop and I only meant the price of the camera only , imma buy the other gear aswell like a electronic tripod and wide field lenses. Do you think a Canon t7 would be ok???

A T7 can do an adequate job for wide angle shots of the night sky.  Canon is having a Faather's Day sale on camera bodies in the Online Refurbished Store.  You can pick one up for more than 50% off the regular list price.

A Rebel T7 and the already mentioned Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 full frame lens would be a pretty good combo.  Samyang makes the same lens.  There is a 16mm version for APS-C bodies, so avoid that one.

All you would need to round out a "starter package" would be a fairly robust tripod.  You should expect to spend upwards of $200 for a good one.  You want something that will not wiggle and jiggle in the breeze during a longer exposure.  

Look for a tripod that supports upwards of 17 lbs.  You want something robust enough to support a tracking mount, like those made by SkyTracker.

There are several models that are more than 50% off.  This is just one of the offers for just one model that is on sale.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-eos-rebel-t7-ef-s-18-55-with-ef-75-300mm-4-56... 

You will also need a memory card.  I recommend a SandDisk Extreme 32GB full size memory card.  No micro-SD cards with an adapter, because the adapters are too unreliable.

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
Well i guess t7i should do the work for now .

One last question can this camera take planetary images??

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements