cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What DSLR camera and lenses should I buy???

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
so I'm a beginner at astrophotography and I want to know what camera below 500$$$ should I buy and what lenses should I get . I currently own a telescope and a low quality camera for telescope and I want to expand my knowledge and beauty of the universe.

So if yall can give me some options that would be great
24 REPLIES 24

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
The generation of today have alot of resources and ways to see Saturn's rings , i own a 5" telescope and what I see is incredible thats way I want to do astrophotography to spread what I see so that other people get to see it

"... i own a 5" telescope ..."

Some commercial telescopes have a way or adapter to mount a camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

KenJohansen
Apprentice

I am a professional photographer and have owned a 10 inch reflector with an EQ mount (Equitorial Mount).  This reverses the earths rotation so you can track any celestial object all night once the system is set up right.  Orion Telescopes today have upgraded this mount to an EQG and EQG2 which are computerized to show over 30,000 objects and they will automatically move the telescope to the object that you have chosen.  They have several star shooter cameras specially designed for the ameteur market with processing software to give the stunning colors that you get from NASA from a land based telescope.  There will be atmospohereic distortions and other problems.  They also sell a star tracker that will lock in on 1 star so the telescope will track that star for sharp celestial object photography. 

Ther are reflector telescopes, refractor telescopes and Cassigrain Telescopes.  Cassigrain are the shortest and have a center mirror and a back mirror.  The light passes through the main lens,to the back mirror, passes through the lenses a second time to the front mirror and then passes through the lenses a third time to the eye piece or camera.

If you want to do Astral Photography that is stunning in landscape photography you need a celestial map to show where the milky way will be appearing in the sky and when to go to different locations.  You need a wide angle lens to prevent the blur of the earths movement and exposures no longer than 30 seconds.  You have a choice in this type of photography to have earth objects sharp and the stars slightly blurred due to the earth's rotation or eart blurred and stars sharp.

You can spend all types of money on this hobby and it depends on what you want to do with it.  I have seen the star shooter from Orion for around $500.00.  I strongly suggest an equitorial mount and a star tracker for the system.

ShockinGoku327
Contributor
I already own a 5" equatorial reflector orion and have a set of filters and others lenses but I want to start a hobby of astrophotography aswell , im currently planing to buy a canon t7i but idk really know what lenses should i get

@ShockinGoku327 wrote:
I already own a 5" equatorial reflector orion and have a set of filters and others lenses but I want to start a hobby of astrophotography aswell , im currently planing to buy a canon t7i but idk really know what lenses should i get

If you already own a couple of Canon EF Series lenses, then you may not need buy any new lenses.  

However, all of the cameras in your stated budget range, $500, are all very basic entry level cameras..  Without exception, they all come with at least one standard zoom.  The only exceptions might be one of the more expensive bodies that is on sale.

Judging from this comment, I would assume that you were not able to take advantage of the recent clearance sale that Canon USA was running it its' Online Refurbished Store.  I would not expect to see prices, deals, and offers like those again for many months.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements