cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivitar Flash Compatibility

RJPhoto1
Contributor

Hi,

I received a Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 2500 flash unit and am looking for a resource to help determine if it is compatible with my Canon 5dsr, Rebel XSi or SX50 HS.  Thanks for any assistance.  

Rich  

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Depends what you mean by "compatible". Unless it has the right number of pins on its foot it can't talk to the Canon and do pre-flash for TTL exposure.

You can probably use it in manual with a flash trigger. I would be careful attaching it to the camera if it is an older model because older models had very high voltages present that can damage the camera.

View solution in original post

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@RJPhoto1 wrote:

Hi,

I received a Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 2500 flash unit and am looking for a resource to help determine if it is compatible with my Canon 5dsr, Rebel XSi or SX50 HS.  Thanks for any assistance.  

Rich  

A used Canon flash is cheaper than a new camera.  And, there would be no compatibility questions or issues, either.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If it has the correct number of pins, it means it is a reverse-engineered falsh for Canon, so it should have the voltage right. If it is old school single pin flash trigger, it could have too much voltage for the Canon.

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Depends what you mean by "compatible". Unless it has the right number of pins on its foot it can't talk to the Canon and do pre-flash for TTL exposure.

You can probably use it in manual with a flash trigger. I would be careful attaching it to the camera if it is an older model because older models had very high voltages present that can damage the camera.

Thanks  kvbarkley.  Good advice.
Rich

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@RJPhoto1 wrote:

Hi,

Rich  

A used Canon flash is cheaper than a new camera.  And, there would be no compatibility questions or issues, either.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the comment, Waddizzle. It now sounds like a paperweight.
Rich

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have no idea about the Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 2500.  But if the voltage is not correct, it doesn't matter whether the pins line up or not.  If the voltage isn't correct for Canon, the flash could destroy the camera.

My question and curiosity, you have a 5DS R and you want to put a piece of junk Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 2500 on it?  Why?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If it has the correct number of pins, it means it is a reverse-engineered falsh for Canon, so it should have the voltage right. If it is old school single pin flash trigger, it could have too much voltage for the Canon.

Hello kvbarkley,
Thanks. I will donate it to charity. Done.
Rich

Hi ebiggs1,
I bought an SX50 and the seller threw it in. I don't know much about flashes and took this opportunity to cement my opinion that the seller should be emulated.
Announcements