cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Serenar Canon camera

samintx
Enthusiast

My uncle in occupied Japan brought this to my father about 1946ish. Is there any place here on the Forum with discussion and what to do with this camera? It is in a leather case, light gauge(amazing) and a booklet about the the founder of Canon which is supposed to be an instruction book I guess. I'm a point and shoot terrible photographer but enjoy messing around with photos.

5 REPLIES 5

Thanks. I'll take a look. I also have a 1930s bellows I was told 620 would work, then they stopped making that and I don't know about "rolling my own". I don't know how to get it open anyway.

Thank you! It appears to be:

Marketed 1949, price 60,000 yen, w/Serenar 50mm f/1.9

I remember I was still in High School when Uncle John brought it and came to visit. The f/1.9 was the clue also. I wish they listed serial numbers from the cameras.

Oh, I just found a 3.5 canon lens that looks like the original lens. Well, that changes the date earlier perhaps.

Pretty cool.  Is it your intention to use this jewel?  It will likely need to have it's internal gaskets and/or rubber seals and be lubbed before you can use it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It is so heavy I don't think I could use it without a tripod! Those old cameras were really built. I think it will just sit in the box with the light meter ( LOL). Thanks for the URLs pertaining. You never can tell, I might put a roll of film in it sometime when I feel strong.

Announcements