cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to shoot better video

DevonB1
Apprentice

So I'm getting set up for a new video project. All the video filming I've done has been on my Rebel T3 which has been great cause I can use my lenses with it to get some interesting shots. However, it only shoots in 720p @.25fps. For the new project we're going to be shooting in 1080p @.60fps which means I need to upgrade. However, I don't want to loose the functionality of using different lenses. I don't know a whole lot about the technical specifics of cameras so any help is greatly appreciated.

Do I need to keep shooting on a DSLR? Mirrorless? I'm hopefully planning on trading up without absolutely decimating my broke-college-student wallet. Any Ideas? Thanks y'all!

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would highly recommending renting a dedicated video camera for the shoot.

Personally, I don't use DSLRs for video.  I currently use a camcorder.  If though I ever got into more serious videography, I'd move up to one of Canon's Cinema cameras.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you want to use the same lenses, you might still want to stay away from mirrorless. If you have EF-S lenses, the R series will limit you to a crop frame.

Check the specs, but I think any of the Rebels will work nicely. A t8i is currently top of the line.

Given budget restrictions, if you are going to be shooting a lot of video then follow kv's recommendation to upgrade within the Rebel line to one that will provide the resolution and frame rate combo that you need.

Like Ricky, I don't like shooting video with a DSLR.  With me it is just awkward because I shoot primarily fast action sports and using live view from a LCD screen while holding the camera is not a great setup.  If I know I am going to be shooting video, I bring along my Canon XF-400 which has a wide range integrated zoom lens. 

Mirrorless is probably better for video since it really is an evolution of the video camera but mirrorless is still suboptimal for my primary photography needs so I won't be changing until it can at least meet what a top end DSLR can do so well.

My 1DX II and 1DX III DSLRs produce great video quality and I have shot some HS band and dance team sequences with them but when I am was working with player development and needed to analyze player skills I would always shoot with a camcorder.  It all depends upon what you are trying to capture.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements