cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to a new body. Need advice to decide specific set up.

Noahm107
Contributor

I have a Rebel XS with a 18-55mm EF-S kit lens, 75-300mm EF lens, and a 50mm 1.8. The camera I've had in mind was the T6i. However a family friend of mine would sell a Canon 5d Mk ii and 24-105mm f/4L IS USM L Lens to me for $1,000. One negative thing about that is he is a professional photographer so I'm assuming the shutter count would be high (I will be getting a specific number) That is really pushing my budget and is the highest I would like to spend. But now after looking at the 5d mk ii, I started looking into the 7d mk i and ii. So my options would be:

• Buy the 5d mk ii with lens and be set for a while.
  • Buy the t6i/7d mk i and save a little more up to buy a nice lens.
  • Buy the 7d mk ii for around $1,000 and be stuck with my current lens' for a while until I can afford a nicer lens.

If you have a different set up for around $1,000 I will consider that as well. As of now I am taking photos recreationally, however in the fall I plan on doing some senior photos for friends and with time I'd like to potentially shoot weddings, and other type of portraits. I also would like to be able to do some video work, which is why I am considering the t6i, for the continuous autofocus and articulating screen. Thanks for your help!

13 REPLIES 13

@Noahm107 wrote:
Thank you, how much would you say a good price is for the 7D?

Since you want to do video, you really want the 70D and not the classic 7D. The 70D has a dual-pixel sensor so it can focus continuously during video, the classic 7D lacks this feature. It also has the tilt-swivel LCD you mentioned you wanted. The 70D has some weather sealing that the T6i lacks. The 70D matches most of the other features of the 7D except the tank like build. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Canon 5d Mk ii and 24-105mm f/4L IS USM L Lens to me for $1,000"

Way, way too much for this.  $600 to $700 for a mint copy.  Much less for a very used copy.

"Buy the t6i/7d mk i and save a little more up to buy a nice lens."

The Rebel T6i is a big upgrade for you.  And if it lets you afford better lenses, it is the way to go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you I believe I will go for the T6i, but I am just curious to where you guys find your cameras/lens for sale. Because I've been looking for the 24-105mm F/4L lens and I can't find it alone for less than $500. But everyone keeps saying that the Canon 5D mkii AND 24-105mm lens should only be around $700. 

You are not going to find a 24-105 for less than $500 brand new.  That is a used price.

A good fair price for a used 24-105 is $450 and a good used 5d2 about $350.  Now that is for good nice ones.  A camera and lens that has been used by a professional photographer is not going to be mint. It is going to be really used.  Now maybe the guy you are talking about was not a real pro and just a weekender so that is different.  Cameras are no different than any electro/mechanical device. They have a limited life span.

The 5d2 is getting to be a dated camera. That effects the price.  I know some people ask higher prices for them but are they selling at that price?  I wouldn't buy one at that price.

The 24-105 is s till a very fine lens.  I have seen it sell for $650 brand new in a white box.

You may have to wait and really look for the deal because everybody wants as much as possible for their gear.  Not wanting to wait, just get the T6i.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements