cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading - Please help

Mysticman319
Apprentice
Hey Gang, brand new to the community. Loving the threads...I’m currently shooting with a T3i and a few different lenses and I’m going to be doing a major upgrade in the next month or so.

I’m debating on the 5D Mark III (Clarity) vs. the 7D (Speed) however I’m also struggling on which lens I’d like to pick up between the 400mm f/5.6L USM vs. Tamron 150-400 G2.

I love shooting wildlife, everything from birds to zoo animals. Although I do spend A LOT of time in black bear country because I have a hunting cabin in the Poconos Mountains. So I definitely want a decent reach with my lens. I also love shooting landscapes, concerts, storms, street/urban, emergency scenes (I’m Fire/EMS), and really anything that catches my eye really.

So what lens would you go with or shoot with? How about the other lenses in your kit?

Please chime in with all your opinions, thoughts and knowledge. I sincerely appreciate it. Happy shooting!
9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Budget?  What is your overall budget?  

Between the 7D and 5D3, I would definitely go for the 5D3.  But, neither body is still being sold as new, so you would most likely wind up buying a used camera.  The price difference is probably 3 to 1.  Did you mean the 5D3 and 7D2?  I would still be inclined to pick the 5D3, but I would not want a used one.  For your apparent budget, I woul go for a new body.

Between the Canon 400mm f/5.6L and the Tamron 150-600 G2, once again, I would question your budget because you ask about other lenses to use. Between those two lenses, i would lean towards the zoom, although neither would be my first choice.  

I would prefer the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.  I would pair that lens with a newer, higher resolution body like the 80D, 6D2, or even the 5D4.  A good mate for that lens would the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM, although I would prefer the f/2.8 trio of the 16-35mm, 24-70mm, and the 70-200mm.

It all comes down to budget.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Budget?  What is your overall budget?  

Between the 7D and 5D3, I would definitely go for the 5D3.  But, neither body is still being sold as new, so you would most likely wind up buying a used camera.  The price difference is probably 3 to 1.  Did you mean the 5D3 and 7D2?  I would still be inclined to pick the 5D3, but I would not want a used one.  For your apparent budget, I woul go for a new body.

Between the Canon 400mm f/5.6L and the Tamron 150-600 G2, once again, I would question your budget because you ask about other lenses to use. Between those two lenses, i would lean towards the zoom, although neither would be my first choice.  

I would prefer the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.  I would pair that lens with a newer, higher resolution body like the 80D, 6D2, or even the 5D4.  A good mate for that lens would the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM, although I would prefer the f/2.8 trio of the 16-35mm, 24-70mm, and the 70-200mm.

It all comes down to budget.

I pretty much agree with Waddizzle, including his preference for the "f/2.8 trio". I would point out, though, that the 24-105 is a very useful lens in its own right. It's an excellent general-purpose outdoor lens for landscapes, street photography, etc. It's even useful, although a bit long, on an APS-C camera like the 7D2. I used mine a fair amount on my 7D's before I went full-frame. I still use it often often when I don't want to carry both the 24-70 and the 70-200.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert, "I love shooting wildlife, everything from birds to zoo animals. Although I do spend A LOT of time in black bear country..."

"... the f/2.8 trio of the 16-35mm, 24-70mm, and the 70-200mm,..." would make that stated goal challenging to say the least! That leaves us with what super zoom works best.

The Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 fills that requirement better than any other current offering. I still can not understand why Canon does not see fit to make an entry in this zoom range. They have to see and know how popular this type lens is. I don't think adding the 1.4x tel-con to a 400mm zoom is a good alternative (and you still don't get to 600mm). Another thing, look what it does to the total cost along with the issues of using it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Robert, "I love shooting wildlife, everything from birds to zoo animals. Although I do spend A LOT of time in black bear country..."

"... the f/2.8 trio of the 16-35mm, 24-70mm, and the 70-200mm,..." would make that stated goal challenging to say the least! That leaves us with what super zoom works best.

“....in black bear country because I have a hunting cabin in the Poconos Mountains. So I definitely want a decent reach with my lens. I also love shooting landscapes, concerts, storms, street/urban, emergency scenes (I’m Fire/EMS), and really anything that catches my eye really.”

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I’m currently shooting with a T3i and a few different lenses ..."

You are aware if any or all your current lenses are ef-s type they will not work on a 5 series or 6 series?

This is an easy question to answer, the lens you want is the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2.  From your stated goals it is the best choice. It will work on any body you select.  The 5D Mk III and the 7D are two of my most favorite cameras.  You can be happy with either.  Your choice.  They are nearly identical except for the sensor. Do you want FF or is crop doing all you want?

The problem with the outstanding EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens is you will need to add a tel-con probably a 1.4x. It is not cheap and it comes with its own set of issues to use. The EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens is a lens that you need whether you buy the big Tammy or not. I consider it a must have lens. Everybody should have that lens.  It is simply a joy to use and it makes the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L even less desirable.

What would I do if I found myself in your shoes tomorrow morning?  I would buy a new 80D along with the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. You did not mention what other lenses you have so I can't say what else I would get. If you have T3i kit lens it is time to retire it and get the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens if you remain cropper (80D).

...more feedback?  Smiley Happy

EB

Mysticman319
Apprentice
Waddizzle I’d be in around the 5k range or so. Although obviously these lenses and camera bodies cost more, so I’d be okay sinking more into it if needed. Ideally 5k though. So really I’m okay with buying used OR new

I did mean the 7D II not the 7D, sorry just an oversight typo.

I do plan on picking up the “trinity” lenses, also probably eventually a 100mm as I love shooting macro as well.

The reason I love the 5D3 is the clarity. Every single photo I see on the 500px or elsewhere is crystal clear with the 5D3, even better IMO then the 5D4. Never really looked into the 80D....

Thanks for the responses folks, please keep them coming. I appreciate the time and input!

"I’m okay with buying used OR new..."

There isn't anything wrong with going used. These type cameras (5d and 7D) are tough and totally serviceable. Save a dime or two there and get more lenses because when all is said and done, lenses are where it at. Not the camera.

Buying used gear just be sure you check it out first.

EB

@Mysticman319 wrote:
Waddizzle I’d be in around the 5k range or so. Although obviously these lenses and camera bodies cost more, so I’d be okay sinking more into it if needed. Ideally 5k though. So really I’m okay with buying used OR new

I did mean the 7D II not the 7D, sorry just an oversight typo.

I do plan on picking up the “trinity” lenses, also probably eventually a 100mm as I love shooting macro as well.

The reason I love the 5D3 is the clarity. Every single photo I see on the 500px or elsewhere is crystal clear with the 5D3, even better IMO then the 5D4. Never really looked into the 80D....

Thanks for the responses folks, please keep them coming. I appreciate the time and input!

If you like the IQ of a full frame sensor, then go for a 5D3 or 5D4.  A full frame sensor is my choice for wildlife.  Because of the lower noise at higher ISO settings, I can use faster shutter speeds.  I can get cleaner images when available light is not a bright, sunny day.  I also like the wider angle of view I get from a full frame sensor when I am shooting landscapes and cityscapes.  

The 80D is probably the best buy in the current Canon lineup.  The one disadvantage of a 5D3 or 7D2 is the number of available f/8 AF sensors.  They each have one f/8 AF sensor, and the AF speed takes a noticeable hit when paired with an f/8 lens combo.  The 5D3 and 7D2 are EXCELLENT bodies, though. 

The 80D and 6D2 each have 27 f/8 sensors, and their AF speed does not seem to slow down with an f/8 lens combo.  They also have higher resolution, so you can crop wildlife images a little deeper.  Everyone crops wildlife images to some degree, even if is just to level the horizon.  

A full frame sensor would be the best choice for your budget, and the variety of shooting that you mentioned.  I would recommend a 5D4, because it is within your budget.  Nothing wrong with a used body, but the newer bodies have the advantage of higher resolution and better AF systems.  

I carry my Canon 100-400mm far more often than Sigma 150-600 “C”.  Both lenses produce excellent images.  The difference is that I have to set the Sigma to f/8, while I can set the Canon to its’ minimum aperture.  My cropped images from the 100-400 are better than my shots with the 150-600.  But, I can crop the 150-600 shots deeper than I can those from the 100-400.

The 150-600 lenses are pretty big.  It will initially feel like a cinder block.  They can be tiring to carry around.  I have to use a monopod for extended use.  Your arms will grow weary trying to hold it steady.

Coming from a T3i, a 5D3 or 7D2 will feel pretty hefty, but not too heavy to carry around.  I would recommend a sling style camera strap, like the Black Rapid Sport.  When I am hiking, I do not like to carry a naked camera.  I use a Lowepro Toploader holster bag.  It can carry a 7D2 w/grip and an attached 70-200/100-400 lens.

Mysticman319
Apprentice
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it!
Announcements