cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Help

MikeBlueMedia
Apprentice

Hello All

I have questions and i figured this would be the perfect place for a Canon lover like myself.

I have been using a Canon T3i..... and love it. But with my media taking off a 80d is in my sights but i am a little overwhelemed when thinking about building out another rig.

Right now i have a Canon T3i with a Tonkina AT-X pro lens Grip Battery Pack and 4 extra patteries. Along with wirless remote wired remote, speedlite and my spider wrist grip and also spider hook and belt set.

Is there ANYTHING I can still use accessorie wise from my Canon T3i to the 80D

thank you all for any and all help! 

14 REPLIES 14

Thank you

I did recall reading about a difference for video and couldn't find a clear solution when i went back to look.

But after seeing the next response this would then mean a lens of "lesser quality" is used to get the best features for video? 

@MikeBlueMedia wrote:

Thank you

I did recall reading about a difference for video and couldn't find a clear solution when i went back to look.

But after seeing the next response this would then mean a lens of "lesser quality" is used to get the best features for video? 

Video is not as dependent on outright image quality as still photography is. A lens of less than ideal image quality may have other features that are more important in a given situation. STM lenses, for example, are usually quieter than USM lenses, and therefore less likely to interfere with audio recording.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am not a video guy but I know several guys that shoot vid a lot.  My take is STM is for amateurs. STM lenses sacrifice speed in order to be quieter and smoother. 

Lenses with USM focus designs are built for speed. Quiet operation is second. They are optimized for still images.  Jerky starts and stops that get them in focus faster are meaningless.

The more advanced videographers tend to use manual focus lenses. They have external focusing rigs that attach to the lens and allow fast and finer focusing control. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@MikeBlueMedia wrote:

Thank you

The STM focusing system is much smoother than the USM system.  While a USM lens will “snap” into immediate focus on a subject, which is ideal behavior for shooting stills, an STM lens can make a smoother focus transition between a near and far subject when the camera is in Movie Mode.  When the camera is in Photo Mode, STM lenses seem to be on equal footing with the speed of a USM lens..

All of my Canon L glass are USM lenses, and they are all pretty quiet when it comes to focusing.  But, shooting video with a DSLR is where USM lenses can become noisy, probably because their apertures are designed for discrete 1/3 stop steps, not continuous adjustment

Aperture adjustment.  The STM lenses really excel is shooting video and making aperture adjustments.  Just as with the focusing, STM lenses are able to make smoother aperture transitions in video mode, almost as good as a manual cinema lens with a declicked aperture ring.

Once you get into the world of cinema cameras, there is a whole new set of focusing aids to use.  Using high quality L glass is what you want to use with cinema cameras.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Just to add to the confusion, the new "nano" USM lenses are supposed to be the best of both worlds.

Announcements