cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Help

MikeBlueMedia
Apprentice

Hello All

I have questions and i figured this would be the perfect place for a Canon lover like myself.

I have been using a Canon T3i..... and love it. But with my media taking off a 80d is in my sights but i am a little overwhelemed when thinking about building out another rig.

Right now i have a Canon T3i with a Tonkina AT-X pro lens Grip Battery Pack and 4 extra patteries. Along with wirless remote wired remote, speedlite and my spider wrist grip and also spider hook and belt set.

Is there ANYTHING I can still use accessorie wise from my Canon T3i to the 80D

thank you all for any and all help! 

14 REPLIES 14

@MikeBlueMedia wrote:

Hello All

I have questions and i figured this would be the perfect place for a Canon lover like myself.

I have been using a Canon T3i..... and love it. But with my media taking off a 80d is in my sights but i am a little overwhelemed when thinking about building out another rig.

Right now i have a Canon T3i with a Tonkina AT-X pro lens Grip Battery Pack and 4 extra patteries. Along with wirless remote wired remote, speedlite and my spider wrist grip and also spider hook and belt set.

Is there ANYTHING I can still use accessorie wise from my Canon T3i to the 80D

thank you all for any and all help! 

Any lens that works on a T3i should work on an 80D. And the wrist grip probably screws into the tripod socket, so that should be compatible. Also the speedlite should work.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob....I sortta figured the lens and grip. So the batteries and battery grip are gonna be a no go?!

Is there a lens i shold be going for if offered with the body. STM? 

@MikeBlueMedia wrote:

Thanks Bob....I sortta figured the lens and grip. So the batteries and battery grip are gonna be a no go?!

Is there a lens i shold be going for if offered with the body. STM? 

The best buy is the 80D with the EF-S 18-55mm IS STM in the Canon Online Refurbished Store.  The 18-135mm lenses are good, but I think the 18-55 kit is a better buy.  They almost give away the lens for free.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I’m not sure what your existing lens is from the description. I agree with BOb on the 18-55. 

You don’t have any large aperture lens for low light / shallow depth of field for subject isolation. For just $125.00. I’d throw in a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM prime lens.  Be sure you get the STM version which is the new and improved. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...a Tonkina AT-X pro lens Grip Battery Pack and 4 extra patteries"

Off brand grips are almost always a bad idea.  Be glad this won't be usable on your new 80D.  Buy a Canon grip for it. Off brand batteries can be a bad idea too.  So, be careful.  The fact you may not have experienced any trouble means you were just one of the lucky ones.  Not that the grip or batteries was good.  You can void your warranty if an off brand battery causes damage to the camera.

I'm not opposed to the new STM kit lenses but at this point perhaps you are ready to really step up your game with some much better lenses, too.  Like Scotty mentioned, you can benefit from faster glass.  The kit lenses have slow variable apertures, lesser quality builds.

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens and an 80D is a REAL upgrade for instance.  Fast constant aperture, better build and top notch IQ. The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens is a top choice prime lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the response.

You might have misunderstood my post. 

ALL my accesoires are Canon excpet for my Tokina lens. (which at that time brought my T3i up to a new level) LOL

I appreciate all the help! 

Since ill be using this for Vlog Video and photos I'll be sure to grab that awesome Canon EF 50 mm ..

As for the other lens, maybe a simpler question for me should be the difference between STM and USM? 

This added to my Drone footage will be a complete package.

Thanks!  

"... a simpler question for me should be the difference between STM and USM? "

STM is a stepper motor and USM is the ultra sonic motor.  I don't think any of the Canon L lenses ( higest quality) have STM motors.  Just the kit type do.  There could be some newer L series that have one but I am not recalling one right now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... a simpler question for me should be the difference between STM and USM? "

STM is a stepper motor and USM is the ultra sonic motor.  I don't think any of the Canon L lenses ( higest quality) have STM motors.  Just the kit type do.  There could be some newer L series that have one but I am not recalling one right now.

If I understand correctly, a stepping motor has to be able to start and stop more quickly than an "ultrasonic" (the term is a laughable exaggeration) motor. That may rule out today's stepping motors for "L" lenses, which tend to be on the heavy side.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@MikeBlueMedia wrote:

Thanks for the responses.

Since ill be using this for Vlog Video and photos I'll be sure to grab that awesome Canon EF 50 mm ..

As for the other lens, maybe a simpler question for me should be the difference between STM and USM? 

Thanks!  

Aside from the technical differences, there is a functionality difference when it comes to video.  

If you want to take full advantage of the Dual Pixel AF, then you want an STM zoom like the 18-55mm IS STM or the 18-135mm IS STM lenses.  Specifically, if you want auto-aperture mode, then you [must] use an STM zoom, not a prime.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements