cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgarde EOS T5i

manl4747
Apprentice

I currently own a Canon Rebel EOS T5i. I would like to upgrade. I primarily use a Tamron SP24-70 mm f/28 lens. 

Here is what I am looking for:

I tend to blow up pictures into very large prints so I need something more pixels. 

I still like the autofocus and the dial on my T5i and would like to have something similar. 

Wifi capability

Although I don't typically do videos I still want video capability

I also want to make sure my lens will transfer over to my new camera. 

Would like a lighter weight of a camera. 

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You didn't give a lot of info, but assuming you are happy wit everything about your T5i, and just want more megapixels, a reasonably priced upgrade would be the EOS 77. B

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-77d-ef-s-18-135-is-usm-kit-digital-slr-refurbished

You will be getting 24megapixels vs 18MP.

How large is very large to you?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

manl4747
Apprentice
30x24 or a little bigger is the size I print pictures.

I appreciate your recommendation. Will my current lenses fit into body if EOS 77?

I actually have been looking at canon 80D.

"I primarily use a Tamron SP24-70 mm f/28 lens."

IMHO, I would much prefer the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens over the Tamron for what you are wanting to do. On a Rebel the Tammy just doesn't work as well as either of the two lenses I suggest.

Actually I would rather see you get one of these lenses than a new camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I primarily use a Tamron SP24-70 mm f/28 lens."

IMHO, I would much prefer the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens over the Tamron for what you are wanting to do. On a Rebel the Tammy just doesn't work as well as either of the two lenses I suggest.

Actually I would rather see you get one of these lenses than a new camera.

A good upgrade candidate would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8L IS USM. "

This is not an upgrade from the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8.  So, forget that, it is more of a even trade if IQ was your goal. And, if weight is, it is also pretty close.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just going to set this down and walk away from it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"... it is more of a even trade if IQ was your goal..."

Short sighted! Smiley Indifferent  It most certainly is an upgrade with more usable and favorable FL is your goal.

EB

The EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV both look amazing but might require some with a little more expertise on operations. I still use the dial on my T5i when deciding the picture I want to take and then make adjustments on my image in photoshop. 

What is your thoughts?

The 1D series of cameras are purpose built for ruggedness and shooting speed. The have a great feel in the hand and can take a beating and keep on ticking.

But, with the exception of the 1D X Mark II, they all have fewer megapixels than your T5i. But, megepixels are only one part of total image quality. The 1D X has a newer Digic processor and has better noise perfomance compared to the T5i.

The 1D X is a full frame camera; I don't know all the lenses you have, but they very likely may not be suitable for the 1D X. The 1D Mark IV is a 1.3 crop - midway between the T5i and the 1D X. EF-S lenses won't fit, but some third party crop sensor lenses may have enough frame coverage to give a full image.

Every EOS camera has all the same modes as the T5i Creative modes - P, M, Tv and Av. The icon modes on a Rebel/XXD camera arer simply Canon's decision on what combination of settings is best for a particular shooting condition. It's nothing you can't select on your own.

A 1D series is sort of like a Rolls Royce - if you have to ask you don't need it.

If you don't need 12 frames per second in the pouring rain your money would be better spent on some nice "L" glass and a 90D.

But, if you have the budget I don't think you will ever regret having a 1D series camera. My first digital camera was a 1D Mark IIn; I now have a 1D X. But i would still put my money first on some "L" glass.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Nice answer and to the point. Smiley Happy

EB

@manl4747 wrote:

The EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV both look amazing but might require some with a little more expertise on operations. I still use the dial on my T5i when deciding the picture I want to take and then make adjustments on my image in photoshop. 

What is your thoughts?

The single one thing that you can do to improve your photos is to invest in the best lenses that you can afford.  If the lenses that you can afford are not the lenses that you REALLY want, the save up your money and buy the lens that you REAlLLY want.

Now, about the switch to a 1D Series body.  If you can afford it, great.  If you do not know how to use it, not so great.  The 1D bodies only have Creative mode shooting.  There are no Basic shooting modes.  And, the 1D bodies are much heavier than a T5i, but they are better balanced in the hand with professional grade lenses than a Rebel T5i.

If you are still using the dial when deciding the picture you to take, then I suggest that you take a step back.  Learn a bit more about photography.  Canon has an excellent Digital Learning Center, and they have released a LOT of videos on YouTube.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M... 

Take a look at the "EOS 101" video series linked in the first post.  It is an introduction to the basics of photography, and how they apply to taking real world photos.  You may want to watch the entire series more than once.  I suggest that you find a comfortable chair, and watch these videos with your camera on a tripod in front you.

Do not buy any camera gear until you understand the "Exposure Triangle" and "Depth of Field".  Except, it is okay to buy a professional grade tripod to use to watch the videos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements