Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Understanding Noise

This is very interesting! As a beginner photography, my lens inventory is very limited as I own a few, cheap lenses.  I was actually testing out my friend's lens during this shot so I can see how I didn't know which lens would be best, only that I was trying something new I had never used before.  I think it will help me to do some more research into lens types and learn which ones are best for certain situations.

VIP

"I'm unfamiliar with the terms AEC and ETTL."

Some of the guys here seem to always advise advanced settings for folks that are true beginners. They do them no service. You know it is best to learn to walk before you try to run.  You do not need any extras or any special setting to make a snapshot like the one you posted.  A better choice of lens and a simple "P" mode on the camera would do a good job.

There are lots of places where you can learn AEC and ETTL like youtube or photo how-to books, photo courses, etc.

What is bracketing??

Is where you take several usually 3 shots all with a slightly different exposure. Then you choose the best exposure or even stack them in post.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Honored Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I'm unfamiliar with the terms AEC and ETTL."

Some of the guys here seem to always advise advanced settings for folks that are true beginners. They do them no service. You know it is best to learn to walk before you try to run.  You do not need any extras or any special setting to make a snapshot like the one you posted.  A better choice of lens and a simple "P" mode on the camera would do a good job.

There are lots of places where you can learn AEC and ETTL like youtube or photo how-to books, photo courses, etc.

What is bracketing??

Is where you take several usually 3 shots all with a slightly different exposure. Then you choose the best exposure or even stack them in post.

Agree completely. As stated above - 

"To me there is no obvious reason why the camera shouldn't give you a proper exposure in Program AE in that setting."

ETTL is a flash feature - OP never indicated he was using flash.

Not familiar with AEC. There is EC (Exposure Compensation) and AEB (Automatic Exposure Bracketing).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Esteemed Contributor

Bracketing is taking multiple exposures at different settings around what you think is correct. That way you are more likely to get a correct exposure.

You don't need a light meter*. The one in the camera should do fine - you can even set it for spot readings.

*Unless you need it for flash photography, but that is a whole nother kettle of fish.

VIP

"ETTL is a flash feature - OP never indicated he was using flash."

ETTL = Expose To The Left.  

I had really meant to say ETTR, Expose To The Right.

It is a description of how the histogram may look for a photo.

2CB0FACE-81E4-485C-8701-61B9269D517F.jpeg

Look at the top left corner.

C7E97F91-4EA1-40F0-9BCA-C4921DBD19FA.jpeg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Honored Contributor

ould tell you that @Waddizzle wrote:

Huh?? I'm pretty sure that Canon, who I believe invented the terminology, would tell you that it stands for "Enhanced Through-The-Lens" metering.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
VIP

@RobertTheFat wrote:

ould tell you that @Waddizzle wrote:

Huh?? I'm pretty sure that Canon, who I believe invented the terminology, would tell you that it stands for "Enhanced Through-The-Lens" metering.

I'm pretty sure that Canon uses E-TTL, not ETTL.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Occasional Contributor

Forgive me, as being a new photographer, a lot of this is a bit over my head!

I was shooting in manual mode. What is program shift?

Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much! I'll definitely utilize YouTube University!

Occasional Contributor

There was no flash involved in the taking of this photo