cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling with camera gear

Edward1064
Enthusiast

I feel that minimizing the number of times I remove a lens from my camera minimizes dust entering the optics.  So whenever I have traveled by air, I have not removed the 100-400 mm zoom from the camera.  But since I recently uograded to the 7D II and 100-400 mm II, I am reconsidering, because I also think that the coupling between lens and camera body should not be stressed too much.  We will be heading to South Africa later this year.

I would appreciate the thoughts and experience of others on this topic.

Thanks!

Edward

14 REPLIES 14

I would pack each separately.  Not connected.  I should say that is what I did when I was working but I still travel that way if I am not the one handling the gear.

Again, the best advice is, just don't do anything stupid.  You'll be fine.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Edward,

I can't believe this.  All of this is exactly what I said in the first reply of this thread.

Detach lens

Cap it

Transport detached

Use cap for body

Don't be afraid to change lenses, mount is designed for a life time of coupling decoupling

Use common sense during lens changes to avoid contaminants

Bring bags

Use your gear, its not going to be in a lab, its outside, there is going to be dust. 

Here's another suggestion.  Where a mask on the plane since you will be flying to a 3rd world country known for its exotic diseases and illnesses.  Vaccinations might be wise as well.

I'm not trying to be funny, seriously.  Are you going to take pictures, enjoy your hobby and capture memories?  Or are you going to agonize and commisurate over getting a speck of dust on your camera eqiuipment.  If you are that paranoid about your equipment you should stay home.  Like I said before, use your gear, take reasonable precautions and enjoy your trip.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

Yes, you did say this. . . thank you.  Sometimes it’s useful to have the comments of several people in a forum like this, because we all have our different views.  Even if  it gets repetitive sometimes, there can be useful nuances.

I am sorry if I neglected your original, thorough, reply.

Edward

Edward,

No problem.  Not looking for acknowledgement or apology.  Getting feedback from multiple souces is impotant, and here we've got many members with a great breath of knowledge - enthusiast to pro level experience.  I'm protective and cautious with my gear too.  I see you are a photographer at the heart level.  I share the same passion and the enjoyment of this outweighs the risk of using our gear, moving and making changes in less than favorable environments.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"We will be heading to South Africa later this year."

You need to worry more about the baggage handler than shooting in South Africa!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements