cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "rubber like" grip material on my 60d

willsiler
Apprentice

The "rubber like" grip material on my 60d has loosened and is threatening to come off altogether. Any suggestions as to how to re-attach other than the Gaffer Tape I have been using for the past year?

1 REPLY 1

amfoto1
Authority

Email Canon... I think I saw something about them having a fix for this.

If you want to try to repair yourself, I've used various things to attach rubber and leatherette to cameras over the years. There are double-sided tapes that can be used, but might not work well on a curved surface. Pliobond glue is one of the more common things used by camera repair techs. Common rubber cement can work in some cases, too, but likely won't be strong enough hold for curved surfaces that are handled a lot.

A stronger glue that's great with rubber and plastics is Shoe Goo (normally used to repair shoes). It will secure almost anything to almost anything and remains flexible after it sets. However, it might be too strong a hold, if the grip ever needs to be removed for any other reasons such as to service or do repairs on the camera. You also have to be extremely careful not to get it on any surfaces you don't want it. It's difficult to remove.

Don't use contact cement (it's too strong) or glues that become brittle (Gorilla or "Super" glues).

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements